WHEN IS IT OK FOR A YOUR CHILD TO CALL YOUR PARTNER DAD OR MOM?

My son is will be 3 years old in march. His dad and I dated for 5 years and when I got pregnant he left and I never seen him again. I moved to a different state and now I have been currently dating someone for the past 2 years. He is the only man my son knows and he loves him very much. Sometimes he asks me where his dad at when my boyfriend is not around. Do yall think its appropriate for my son to call him dad?

86alysha

Asked by 86alysha at 11:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Not till your married, I would say just in case. But up to you! :-)
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't think it's appropriate unless you are married. You just never know what can happen, and this can be confusing and detrimental to children when "daddies" come and go.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• if he is the only father figure that he knows then, sure let him call him that. But eventually you will have to explain to him later in life, the truth about everything
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 11:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If it's something he feels good about, and if you know your SO will be there for the long haul then I don't see any reason to stop him from calling him Dad. Our boys chose to call my Hubby Dad, and we never said yes or no to it, it's what they were comfortable with. He's not their biodad, but they love him like he is, and so does he, so I think it's a beautiful thing..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I never got comfortable with that. I got divorced when my boys were just 3 I did not remarry until they were 9/10 ish they call him by his name. They also call the stepmom by her name. It has been 24 years since the divorce.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Not until you are married.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• we are going through the same thing, my daughters sperm donor is in prison and she has never met him, me and my bf have been dating for a year and we live togethr my daughter is 3 and started calling him dad, hes the only man that she has ever met and we were frii ends before we started dating, i think it its ok as long as you stick with it and have to have the agreement that if anything ever happens he still has to be in your sons life, when he is old enough to understand i would tell him about his biological father..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My dd started doing that with my fiance' too. She is 4, it started when she was 2. her dad is not around and my fiance has been around since she was 1, we are getting married in March. At first we did try to stop her from doing it, but it hurt her feelings so we just let her. When she does see her dad (not that often , she calls him by his first name)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i was around 18 months when my mother started dating my step father.. i started calling him daddy on my own. at around 8 i found out about my real father, my mom did a really good job about explaining thigns to me and even after i knew he was always my daddy, and he still is, even though they are now divorced. if you feel nothing wrong with it than dont worry. kids are very ressiliant,

do you love this man? does he love your child? thats all that matters
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• thank you but my son is only 2 he makes 3 in march so when i tell him his he says no mommy thats da da da so i try my hardest to always say his name and he still says da da da or daddy . I love my boyfriend with all my heart and this is the first relationship that i can honestly say that i am truly happy and he gives us his last if we need it. If we were to ever split he has set the bar so high for any other man to take his place. We loves each other and he loves my son very much. Its a lot of stuff my boyfriend do that he dont have to do but he do it with no complains.
    86alysha

Comment by 86alysha (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011