Potty Training?

Any advice on potty training ?My dd she is 3 months shy of two and just doesn't seem to grasp the concept yet =/.

jdbrown21

Asked by jdbrown21 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would wait
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 11:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Shes barely two..dont push it..when they are ready they will let you know. My son is almost 3 and he just got into it a few months ago. When they give u signs of needing to go potty..or freaking out cause they are wet..then you know they are ready. Good Luck on the Potty training journey :)
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• dont push shes not even 2 yet. She will start to show you sighns shes ready. watch for her to stay dry for a couple hours at a time, staying dry during naps, telling you she peed or pooped her diaper. Also no harm in getting her a potty seat if you havnt already and just let her sit on with clothes on if she wants. She will eventually want to do it and when she does it will be easier on you to potty train. When you start stay as close to home for 2 to 3 weeks as you can and let her just wear underwear yes she will have accidents but she will also relize faster that shes wet herself and its a yucky feeling. My 20month old son just started potty training and he does well in underwear but very poorly in a pull up. Most kids dont potty train till closer to 3.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yeah dont push it. My ds is 2 years and 4 months and we started at 2 years and he did great for a few weeks but then didnt want to do it anymore and was crying and didnt want to go near the potty so we totally backed off a bit and I am waiting until he is 2 1/2 and trying again.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My son is almost 3 and is fighting it. I was told not to worry yet, so I am sure you are good for a pretty decent amount of time. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We just set a potty chair out and explained what it was for. There was no pressure. If she wanted to sit on it she would take her diaper off and sit on it. If not, that was okay too. After about a week, she was consistently taking her diaper off to use the potty....without us asking her to. So we moved on to panties. There were some accidents, but she basically potty trained herself. No bribes, no stickers, no candy, only positive praise for successes and encouragement/reassurance for accidents.

The key is having a no pressure approach and reading the cues of your child. Had our daughter not been interested in the potty, we would have put it up and tried again later. The age of the child isn't the signal to start potty training....the child's developmental stage is.
    LisaR25

Answer by LisaR25 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011