If you wear glasses/contacts, are you near sighted or far sighted? When did you get glasses/contacts last?

I'm both. I'm a weirdo. One eye is near, the other far. And my vision is horrible in general, plus astigmatism. Thanks mom and dad lol. My bad vision, coupled with my astigmatism is so bad now that I can't wear contacts anymore because they're so thick it hurts to blink and they scrape the inside of my eyelids :( It's bad. My vision declines every year and isn't near stabilizing at all, but because of theft I haven't gotten the chance to get new lenses in 2 years. I can hardly read now, and get headaches when I do.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Health

• I'm near sighted and I had to get glasses when I was in 4th grade. I wear contacts most of the time.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Hence, your name? :)

I'm near sighted I think (it means I can't see far, right?) I got contacts maybe three or four months ago and go every year to get new ones (I get the two week kind but the doctor said I can wear them twice as long) so I buy a year's worth so I don't have to go back. Glasses..haven't had new ones in several years - only wear them at night before bed, but have been meaning to get some.
    Anonymous

• that sucks. i am very near sighted. i got glasses when i was 12 but i needed them before that. i didn't know i needed them until i had them and realized how i was *supposed* to be seeing! i got contact when i was a senior in high school. i immediately get headaches if i have my eyes open without contacts/glasses for more than a few seconds. even at night going to the bathroom i usually just leave my glasses behind and maneuver the path to and from the bathroom with my eyes closed. i'll be screwed if we ever move!!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i'm near-sighted. i wore contacts from the age of 14 to 30-something...my worsening allergies would not allow me to be comfortable with contacts (tried several different types) any longer, and i've been wearing glasses exclusively for three years. i hate them!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• mrs.bat: "Wow! Those are leaves?!"

i know right!!!! i remember walking and looking down and thinking "holy crap i can SEE the pebbles on the sidewalk!!! WTF!"
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am farsighted and didn't get glasses till after I had my first child and started getting headaches.
    This week (Mon.) I took my 7 yr old to the eye doctor cause he was complaining about his eyes and it turns out he is nearsighted (has astigmatism?) and he went this morning to pick up his glasses.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 11:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• With your tax return, if you get one, you should really get a new perscription. You are declining in vision, which could honestly lead to you going blind. I doubt that is something that you would want. I too need new glasses. I haven't had new glasses in nearly three, if not more, years. The glasses that I have don't do the job nearly as well as they used to, so with our tax return I'm getting a new perscription. Definatley new glasses as well, since one "arm" on these is held on my string where the screw should be. Classy, right? Ha!

To answer your question though I am near sighted. I cannot see clearly far away. I first got glasses in the fourth grade and my right eye didn't need them. My left eye did, so for my first pair the right eye had a fake lens in it. However, over the years and bad eyesight genes passed down from family I eventually needed a perscription in both.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• im nearsighted. just went in at the end of december
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'm nearsighted; first started wearing glasses when I was in the 7th grade. Now I mostly wear contacts. I guess I've been lucky I've been able to get my eyes checked regularly because my prescription hasn't changed much in the last few years. I'm pretty blind though. One doc mentioned I'm very close to being legally blind.

Good luck with getting your eyes checked out this year!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'm near-sighted. I've been wearing glasses since the age of 2. My mom has a pic of me at 2, wearing my glasses, and at the time I had casts on both legs. I looked like the world's youngest nerd! i can't wear contacts. The idea of sticking something in my eye kind of freaks me out. If I go into a store, or anything that I need to see "out", and I forget my glasses in the car, I will get sick to my stomach. I read alot, and just got an e-reader. I love it because I am able to adjust the font size. Nobody touches my computer because I have the font set so big. They all tease me, and I really don't care!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 4:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2011