Patience...

So I guess this is more of a vent. I use to work at Wal-Mart as a cashier. I don't know about anywhere else, but where I live the 2 Wal-Mart stores are the busiest in town. So there I'd be working hard ringing up people as quickly as I could and I'd have people complaining to me about waiting in line. Yelling at ME to get more cashiers (as if I had any kind of authority to do this). I never really knew how to react I'd just apologize (even though sometimes I didn't want to_ and keep working. How could I respond with a satisfactory answer that wouldn't have the customer cussing at me?

myree85

Asked by myree85 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Anytime you go to Wal-Mart, you always risk the chance of having to stand in line. But that doesn't give the people the right to cuss the employees out. I would get management over there to deal with them. That's what they are for.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't think you could give people like this a satisfactory answer. Meanwhile, this is one of the many reasons I never shop at Wal-Mart, which I refer to as The Black Gates.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• those people don't want an answer, misses_nick is right. unless the cashier is showing extraordinary incompetence, i'm much more likely to lose my patience with the customers rather than the cashier. the cashier is doing something repetitively and has an efficient system. it's the stupid customers that always find someway to make things take 8x longer than it should.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• you could not! I have been there as a customer and been irked by that same situation, but I would never complain to a cashier about that because I know they don't have and authority or power to rectify that situation. I am a very patient person though usually, if I did become so incensed by the situation......I would ask a cashier for a manager if I did not see one lurking myself. And I can always pick the manager types even without a labeled name-tag announcing it!! I have worked retail and I have also worked fast food, I completely understand and am super sympathetic to that type of work environment. I have actually bitched at people waiting in line that choose to bitch at the cashiers!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Seriously, I would be so pissed if people were CUSSING at me or YELLING at me. That's just ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• I too work in customer service and some people are plain A$$ Holes! I have to listen to the same stuff everyday and we're supposed to take it, which most times I do. I wear alot of chapstick for all the a$$ kissing I do! Just wish I could win the lottery, I've got a list of names, I can't wait to let them have it! I say to them “Be patient or become one" with a smile of course!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would have just told them that you feel the same way...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• LOL! Love the answer! That's what I wondered about these people. If they hate the waiting in lines why shop there?!
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Wow you guys are awesome! I wish you all had been my customer back then! I'm pretty thick skinned so I wouldn't show too much emotion but some of the other cashiers ended up in tears over the way a customer treated them.
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• have any authority
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011