Can I turn a blog into a business?

I started a blog that's focused around my daughters. I would love to work from home and start my own business. Does anyone know if there's a way to start a business on a blog like blogger.com without spending a lot of money? Thanks!

MommyOfKeKy

Asked by MommyOfKeKy at 11:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well, right off the bat you can join adsense. It's easy enough under your dashboard. click Monetize, then follow the steps. What's your link?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:05 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• lovinangels is right. The deal is, you need to drive people to your blog so that they click on the ads but you're not allowed to call or email people and tell them to go to your blog. In order to make money from adsense, you have to have a high volume of people clicking ads and it's hard to spread the word. I tried this and unless you know hundreds of people who will tell hundreds of people, it's unlikely you'd make any money. Adsense is tough too, there are answer forums but no one specifically to ask questions to. Try it but I think you'll find it to be less fruitful than you hope.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You constantly need to drive traffic to your blog once it's set up. I have a couple of hundred face book friends, so when I write, I post a link. It's a small amount of money.

Then you do blog hops, and have other mom bloggers following you back, and once you get up to fifty or so, you can get some reviews and giveaways, but it's work. It's not a little thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:17 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The link to my blog is http://adventuresofbeingamom.blogspot.com/ . I'm obviously a beginner, but I think it's a good start. lovinangels- what are blog hops?

Thanks for your help!
    MommyOfKeKy

Comment by MommyOfKeKy (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Hi Get Excited & Stay Excited! I am a very experienced blogger. Using blogger.com or even wordpress.com are not ideal sites to monetize off of. No free hosted sites are to be honest because they can shut your blog down at any time- you don't own it. I recommend you getting a blog through wordpress.org where you would have to get your own host (your own "real estate") and I actually only pay less than $6 a month for mine... I did everything by myself (http://KantreseSmith.com). Now, I do have some awesome buddies I network with that will design a blog for you for free and all you have to do is pay for hosting like less than $10/month. I do have that information on my blog or you can go to http://kantresesmith.com/FreeBlog for more details. Hope this helps. ~Blessings
    blessed2behome

Answer by blessed2behome at 5:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That a good question the best way to go by this is check out some blogging sites online until you find the right one and see what happen
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2011