how do I get my 5 year old to sleep alone in her room?

My 5 year old is afraid to sleep alone. She has never slept alone because of various reasons, from us only having one bedroom due to contsruction to my mom staying with us and sleeping with my daughter. It has become a big problem because she will not sleep if someone is not laying down next to her. I tried giving her a reward if she slept byherself in her room, I gave her time outs, I pleaded with her, I yelled at her I tried it all. Any ideas or advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We let our dog sleep in my dd's room at night. She feels so much safer now... not sure why but she does.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Stupid question but if you leave the hall light on and are in the room next to her room, would that help? Oh boy, I don't know. Hopefully someone will have a trick.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• id say put her to bed in her bed and tell her that if she wakes you can come to your room but shes not to wake you up and she can sleep on the little bed you make her on the floor but not with you. when she does manage to not wake you then praise her for that over time she will stay in her own bed im sure.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Hi Jeanclaudia! Yes I have tried to leave the door open and the hall light on. It doesn't work. And we live in a high ranch so all of the rooms are on the same floor. She can hear me, and my footsteps. I'm at my wits end, I hope there is a trick out there somewhere for this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• With my DD, After we brush teeth, and read the bedtime story, I turn out the lights, have the night light on, and put on her CD. She knows I will stay with her for THREE songs on that CD. I rub her back during those 3 songs, just getting her comfortable. Sometimes she falls asleep, sometimes not. She knows I'll stay for those songs, and knows I go when the 3rd song is over. It's a comfortable routine that has helped with bedtime issues.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• If she helps decorate it, she will be more likely to want to sleep in their.
    theresaphilly

Answer by theresaphilly at 6:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my 8 year old son the same way we have to fight with him to go in his room to sleep some time my boy friend tell him that he will go an d get something of his and say he will put away or put out side in the trash and it works on nanny 911 or supper nanny does with kids dont sleep in there room maybe sit in her room on the floor and each night get farther to the door until u are out of the room it might help too good lcuk
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• honestly, just keep putting her in her bed. shes probably not even scared to sleep alone, shes just used to it. go through your bed time routine with her, and put her in her bed. let he cry, if she keeps coming out, don't say anything just keep putting her in her bed. she will get after a little while.

SUPERNANNY ROCKS! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I feel your pain.....My ex and I divorced when our daughter was 6. I finally told my daughter that we would go to counseling as her sleeping with me was not healthy for me or her at 12 years old. Everyone keep saying she would grow out of it but she was growing out of anything but pushing me out of my own bed! We have a split house plan where my bedroom is on one side of the house and hers is on the other but it's a SMALL house....LOL That has worked for me....I did the TV in the room so she could watch movies, I told her how I would go to bed before my parents...etc. We went to a counselor on another issue with her anger towards her Dad not being in her life but we sneaked in a comment about not sleeping with parents. She's now 15 and has no problems with being in her room.
    Linda_Schultz

Answer by Linda_Schultz at 12:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Just keep returning her to her room. When she gets out of bed, remind her it is bed time and she is going to sleep. If she comes out agai just return her to her room. Don't get frustrated, just continue to do it. The first night will be pretty tough, but it will get better and better with each night.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2011