Why are small children sooo Picky?

My son is 3 2 different doctors say he is picky but he doesnt want to eat anything from broccoli to candy?

MommyOf3InATL

Asked by MommyOf3InATL at 12:20 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• how does he survive than?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Pedisure and Bribes..lol.. Sometimes I have to sit and feed him to make him eat?
    MommyOf3InATL

Comment by MommyOf3InATL (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my son is almost 2.5 and is a bit picky as well and is in super-health (according to recent tests) and in 90th percentile for weight. He has been eating very little lately which is worrying me. I am thinking about starting him on Pedia-Sure, just to be sure he is getting what his body requires. That may be a thought for your son, they come in a variety of flavors.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Kids' taste buds are still new, and probably hyper sensitive to flavors. Some handle new flavors well, and some don't. Over time, our taste buds just don't work like they used to, which is why things start tasting bland after a while, and everything seems agreeable. Kids, on the other hand, don't necessarily like new sensations.

As long as your son is growing, and he seems happy, I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep introducing new things, and if you're worried, check out what your doctor has to say.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It is VERY common at this age. Part of it is likely the fight for independence they want, knowing they can control what goes in their mouth. I think the important thing is not to make a big deal out of it. Kids will eventually eat if they're hungry enough.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my daughter's doctor told me that toddlers sometimes go without eating for awhile, or just picking here and there. He also told me to maybe put on a supplement vitamin or whatever they call it. My daughter is picky too. But she loves cucumbers with a little ranch dressing and salad seasoning. Sometimes that is all she will eat for the day! When I do give her new food and she doesn't eat it, I will wait a few days and try it again. Sometimes it will take a few days of doing this, but she ends up eating it anyway.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have 4, and none of them were picky. I introduced them to a wide variety of foods from the start, and they've always eaten pretty much anything.
    Anonymous

• All kids go through picky phases. My daughter is fifteen, and remembers being four and eating only quesadillas and frozen blueberries; she also remembers insisting on eating only mac and cheese, and not having that work out well for her. How you handle those phases determines whether or not they will grow up picky.

First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods