Marriage???

How do you know you ready to Marry your boyfriend??? and is 10 Months enough time to have made a decision???

Amber0022

Asked by Amber0022 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Who am I to say when you are ready to get married? I, for one, don't think there is any point in rushing to get married. If you are going to be together forever anyways why hurry to get married when you could just be together forever and take your time. That way you will know for sure that you didn't make a huge mistake...but I also think you only live once so do what your heart tells you to.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• when you know that you really want to spend the rest of your life with him.... my husband proposed to me 6 months into our relationship... and i knew that when he asked me that he was the man that i wanted to marry no matter what.. we wanted to have a nice big wedding but then decided that it would just be nice to have only our imediate family there so we had a very nice court wedding and a beautiful dinner with all mine and his family... but it really is all up to you and what you want... you can keep on with just being boyfriend and girlfriend but if something would to happen to either one of you, your not allowed only family... so that right there was one of my other reasons i wanted to be there for him 100% not just 75.... but you have to feel it in your heart do you want to marry him and does he want to marry you... or is he or you just happy were your at.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Well, my husband and I dated off and on for a good 3 years before deciding that we were certain that we wanted to make a lifetime commitment to each other. Every couple is different, and who is to say how long it takes for them to be certain of one another?
    So the only person who can answer your question is you, dear.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I love this man with all my heart, He feels the same way too (well thats what he has said)... He has talked to me about marriage before but never proposed... I am ready and willing, I guess im just wondering if i am crazy for being ready so soon... but if you did it in 6 months than i guess their is no such thing as timeframe when it comes to marriage... He actually just mentioned it last night so it has been heavy on mind all day you know...
    Amber0022

Comment by Amber0022 (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I've had 5 serious boyfriends... and I loved them all with "all my heart" when I was with them.

But... with my present husband, something clicked with me about 2 weeks after we met. I just KNEW I was going to marry him. Despite this, we dated for 3 years before getting engaged, and we had a 2 year engagement. I figured that if we were meant to be married-- we would be married-- regardless of how long it took us to get there. We've been married now for almost 8 years.

Bottom line? Who knows? These things sometimes make no sense, and sometimes make all the sense in the world. But only you can know, and only you will live with the consequences.

Good luck!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• If you are asking, you probably aren't ready...that is my theory anyway. I have been engaged to my son's dad for 3 years now. We aren't in any hurry because we aren't going anywhere anyway. What we have right now works. I say do what makes you happy. You can always get married later, but divorce is a mess... :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I feel like its too soon, but who am I to judge? thats just my personal opinion. Ive been with my husband for 4 yrs and married 1. For some odd reason once you say the I-do's things change, i battled with my husband wanting to have a marriage like his parents I mean EXACTLY like his parents like waiting on him hand and foot; i cook for him and clean and everything, but really? you cant take off your own shoes? stupid stuff like that.

Mentioned before, why rush things when you're gonna be together forever anyway? its just a piece of paper, the vows that you exchange is what makes it special and important
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Honestly, it depends and is different for everyone. For instance, I met my husband while we were both deployed on the same ship while in the Navy. We saw each other every single day and hung out a lot onboard, as well as when our ship would dock in other countries. This was September 2003. By February 2004, I felt very strongly about him; these were feelings I've never had for any male friend before. We started dating. By the end of April 2004, we were engaged. A year to day later, we were married. We've been married for almost six years.

I feel that our story is different in that we were stuck with each other for at least six months before we started dating. Ours is the same in that we were best friends; many long-time relationships and marriages start out this way. I think that if you feel you're ready to take the plunge and get married, have a long engagement and pretend it's a test run.

Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• mardigrastake more time to know him. have you seen him when he is extremely angry? have you seen him at his worst yet? have you guys ever had a big fight? you need to see that side of someone first imo. this relationship is still pretty new and i think you need to observe how he reacts and conducts himself in a lot of situations. a lot of people could have on their poker face even after 10 months. been there done that. gl

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My fiance and I fell in love the day we met, 3 weeks later we were talking about marriage. We just KNEW that we were meant to be together and there were no questions about it. That was 4 years ago and we are now planning our wedding for next year AND planning for the new baby (baby decided it didn't want to wait until after marriage, lol). We are just as in love now as when we met and I don't regret anything. Follow your heart.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2011