What would you charge?

There's a girl I know because our hubby's work together and they used to be our nieghbors. She wants me to watch her 1 year old son 5 days a week for 4 hours. When asked how much I would charge her, I said 20 dollars per day, so 120 per week. Which is the same rate I charged 6 years ago for the same hours for one child. She says this is too much but any less than that and it isn't really worth my time. This is also far less than other home day care providers in the area are charging (2 other providers are charging 600 per month, and people are jumping at the chance to get a spot with them because it's so much less than centers).

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would let her know what the rates in your area are, and your charging her less that what you could be getting...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• 20 is a great price... That what i would be paying for eachof my children a day if my kids were not on a scholarship...
    Amber0022

Answer by Amber0022 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Well, unless you are a licensed daycare provider, you don't get to charge as much as they do lol. Sorry.

I babysit two kids, 9 hours a day, 2 days a week. I charge $6/hr for the two of them. And that's the going rate for babysitters just about everywhere... $3/hr/child.

Also, are they charging $600 per month for FULL DAYS? Because 4 hours a day is nt a full day.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Sorry, yes the 600 per month is for full days, not half. And because we live on a military base all daycare providers and even babysitters are licensed. We all have the saem credentials. Some do have more experience than others, though.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That is a good deal, if you provide the food.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would definitely inform her of the going rates in your area and that you were charging/charged the same rate several years ago.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• wow, that is so much cheaper than what I would charge (at least double that)!! especially if the child is not potty-trained!!! shit girl, unless you really need the money.........I would tell her to "keep on searching" and if I were you I would also add that if she comes back the price (at least 25$). although if I were u and had done the research like u have done, I would have quoted a higher price to begin to begin with although lower than any daycare in the area!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• lol-- my sister in law "offered" to baby sit my son part time for $1000 per month plus "expenses."

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'd tell her take it or leave it and you do have a choice nothing is free & easy it never was & it never will GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Stick to your price, she will either do it or not. It is not fair to you to get hosed out of what you think you should get paid.

Would you go to an artist and say, I don't think your painting is worth $300, I would like to pay you $200? It is the same thing here.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2011