What were the top reasons you put your child(ren) in preschool?

We're planning on sending our 3-year-old to preschool later this year. Mostly it's so that he can begin learning how to listen to other adults and introduce him to classrooms. (He's got crazy energy and can't sit or stand still at all right now, and I swear I'm going to have one of those kids I used to teach that I would find hanging off their chairs sideways in the classroom!)

But I'd have to also say that another big reason is so that after being a SAHM this whole time, I can have a breather, even if it's just two days a week for a couple of hours! ;)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 1:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter went at 3yrs old as well..2 days a week for 2.5hrs..
    my MAIN reason for her to go, was for socialization. aside from my niece and nephew, my daughter didnt have any kids to play with..so i figured preschool was a good place to start.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• STRUCTURED LEARNING - main reason... 2nd reason I went back to work full time. 3rd, My SIL is Kinder teacher she has always told me she can tell which kids attended pre-school and which ones havent because they do not know how to follow the rest of classroom. So with her advice and my desire to increase my child's learning I chose an in home preschool instead of daycare.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 1:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I plan to put my Son in preschool (He'll be 4 by the time He starts) so He learns how to listen to others, gets used to being around other kids and handling conflict (He doesn't get any kid-to-kid interaction where We live), so He has a more structured learning environment, and so it helps Him know what to expect when He goes to kindergarten. I don't want Him to be overwhelmed when He begins kindergarten, that is my biggest concern.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• To socialize with other kids, learn how to function in a school environment, and so I would have a little time each week to run errands or do home repair projects that aren't safe with kids around and schedule Dr./dental appts.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• All four of mine went to preschool. At age 2 I did a once a week mothers day out; at age 3 I upped it for the first semester to two days, second semester 3 days; age 4 I did every day at half days. For pre-k it was a full day, every day. They all went to the same ECE center for this and it drastically helped when entering the regular school system and also for my sanity! They love making friends and learning, it's an opportunity that shouldn't be passed up if finances can do it.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 7:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• In our local public school it is expected that by kindergarten you know how to count to thirty, be able to recognize the numbers up to thirty, write the numbers up to thirty, know how to cut and use glue, know your alphabet and write the alphabet, and (last but not least) know how to read simple words and sentences. Boy have things changed since I have been in school all those many years ago! Sending my child to school now will hopefully prepare him for Kindergarten. I don't believe that every kid learns at the same rate or in the same way. I don't like pressured learning. But I also don't want my child to be "behind" his peers and for him to struggle when he enters his new school. So we prepare him in a way that think matches his learning style, personality and temperament. We chose to send him to a Montessori private school for the first few years until he reaches K- 5.  I have to say I am really concerned

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• that the U.S. is last out of many industrialized nations for education and mental health of our children. We spend more money per child...and yet we are still last. And we expect them to know more at the kindergarten level than we did thirty years ago when our education system was much better. So I choose to send my son to preschool so he can have a non pressured time to learn what our school district considers the minimal basics to enter K- 5.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I wanted DD to have socialization, fun learning, and to get used to the school setting, for she'll start K next year. It's going great.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2011