Hand numbness

Anyone else have hands (or feet) that go numb a lot? My right hand goes numb all the time - the worst is in the mornings. Usually the discomfort is the thing that wakes me up, and it lasts long enough that brushing my teeth after I get up is uncomfortable. (I'm right-handed.)

I keep forgetting to ask the doc about this whenever I go for my annual. Just wondering if anyone experiences the same thing and what you might have found out about it. Poor circulation maybe? But in just one hand?

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 1:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Health

• It could be a circulation problem... I get in my legs and feet but I also have Restless leg syndrome
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 1:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. Speak to your Dr. soon. I fooled around way too long with mine. I now have prmenanet nerve damage due to letting it go too long. If they speak of surgery, do it. It is quick simple and solves the problem. I have now had 6 hand surgeries because I waited too long.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Do you work with your hands a lot. I had the same thing when I was cashiering. My whole right arm would go numb and it was really painful when I started getting feeling back in it. The Dr said it was carpal tunnel.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have the same issue and my doctor said it was the beginning of carpal tunnel. I work in a job where I type all day, so I got a wrist brace for my hand that was going numb all the time. I think I wore it for about a month or so just at work and I haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but you could try. I think my hand just needed a break.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It sounds like a nerve problem. If you talk to the doctor he can send you for a test where they inject you with dye so they can see exactly whats going on.
    samnliam2010

Answer by samnliam2010 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Before having my son three years ago, I worked with computers a lot. (I still get on now, just not for 7-8 hours a day like I used to.) The idea of carpal tunnel could be a possibility - I sometimes even wore a wrist brace then because I'd get actual pain. Now, it's just numbness if I hold my right hand at 90 degrees or more from my elbow for even a couple of minutes. Happens when I'm driving too, which scares me the most because I end up driving with one hand. Usually, if I put my arm down for a bit - as if to let the blood flow back down - the numbness goes away.

I'll see about getting a doc appointment. Can I see a general practitioner or someone special? (We just moved, so all I have now is just my gyno.)

Thanks for the replies!
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2011