Separation Anxiety

From day one, I haven't had much help with my son. Nobody, not even my SO, helped me with my son AT ALL for about the first year and a half of my son's life. Nobody stayed to help me with him the first few days after he was born and I was still recovering from labor and nobody EVER got up in the middle of the night with him so I could sleep. I have NEVER been gone when he is put to bed and he is 3 years old. He has also never spent a night over at a family member's house without me being there. Due to having to do EVERYTHING on my own for so long, I created a super strong bond with my son, which is nice; however, I now can't get over my incessant need to be around him every second we are not sleeping (no he doesn't sleep in our bed or our room-thank goodness) or I am at work/him at daycare. I just don't want to go out to do things without him because I just wish he was there so that I could share the world with him or I see things that I know he would have liked - like buses and garbage trucks. Part of me is glad that I feel this way and that I don't want to be without him, but I think some amount of separation is healthy.

Is something wrong with me or is this normal???

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• It sounds very normal. Honestly, I feel sorry for your spouse, because he has not developed a strong bond with his son.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think it is normal. I am a young moms and all the other young moms in my area send there kids away for weekends at a time starting at a couple weeks old but i wouldnt even let me daugter stay away from me more than a few hours. If you are comfortable spending all your time with him then there is nothing wrong with that
    TamlynM2B

Answer by TamlynM2B at 2:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You're away from your son far more often than I am away from either of mine! :) It sounds totally normal... if I only got a certain amount of time to spend with my kids I'd want to use every second possible, too!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Your child is still very young. I don't think nothing is wrong with it at his age. My question is what does his father think about your separation anxiety?
    4Dsmom

Answer by 4Dsmom at 2:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Sometimes my SO complains that I am too attached to him, but I think it is more because he and I don't ever do anything alone. I prefer family time...If I have been gone at work for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, I want to see my boy, not drop him off with someone else AGAIN...
    TitusMom7

Comment by TitusMom7 (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2011