How do I survive the teen years?

I have a 13 year old daughter and I know she's not sexually active but how do I approach the topic of sex with her. Please share with me any tips or suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Ok well when I was 13 (i'm 25 now) I found it best when my mom was direct with me. Yes it was a little weird but being straight forward is best. Sugar coating something as important as sex is not a good idea. Go with the facts. Good luck!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Oh baby! Hold on for a wild ride! First of all teenagers can smell bullshit a mile away, so any time you are talking to her be sure that you are A. truthful B. sincere c. honest! The way I handled it was that I was open and honest with all three of my kids, from the first question on. And those questions came before they were 13! If you sit down and watch a show for example, where there are teenagers and they are engaging, there is an opening. You could start off by asking her questions, not of a personal nature, just general. Like do any of the actors remind your dd of anyone she knows? How would she handle this situation? Or that situation? My granddaughter just got home from visiting her dad, and while she was there, she was texting the whole world on facebook about how he was talking to her about boys! And laughing at him! Poor guy! Anyway, then you could offer suggestions on how you would handle something (cont)
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• And you could state your boundaries and limits. I always put my girls on BC the first time they hinted that it would be a good idea. I would rather they be on it and not need it than need it and not be on it! I stayed calm, and matter of fact, even though my stomach was flipping out! The problem is, my ex found my dd's pills, and threw them away! So she came to see me, and he did it again! So when she called a few months later and told me she was pregnant at 15, you know who I wanted to kill! And when he made the comment that he didn't know how it happened, I said REALLY? Did you think that she wasn't going to have sex if you threw away the pills moron? Well guess what? And it happened on your watch! Moron'; well when Joe stayed over night he slept on the couch, i watched them for any hanky panky! Me: yea? what did you think was happening after you left for work at 5 am? Idiots-all men are idiots!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Thanks you guys for the information! I don't know why I'm so nervous talking about sex with my daughter.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011