DOES MY CHILD HAVE THE ADD....

MY CHILD IS VERY BUSY HE CAN'T KEEP STILL WHEN HE'S TRYING TO DO HIS HOME WORK OR ANY THING ELSE . HE DOSEN'T LIKE TO GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT HE'S UP TILL 2AM SOMETIMES HE'S UP ALL NIGHT...THE DOCTOR'S SAID'S HE WILL GROW OUT OF IT.. HE'S 4 YRS OLD HE WILL BE 5 IN APRIL OF THIS YR.. NOW HE ACT'S OUT WITH TAMPER HE JUST STAB THE KID WITH A PENCIL NEXT DOOR THE KID IS 8YRS OLD.I THINK HES GEETTING WORST........ WHAT TO DO

LOVINGMOM120

Asked by LOVINGMOM120 at 2:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That isn't normal. I would get another doc. opinion.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You never stated his age, and ADHD/ADD are much more easily diagnosed later in life (at the very least, once they are school age but it is usually put off as a definite diagnosis until around the time they begin middle school).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• THANKS!!!
    LOVINGMOM120

Comment by LOVINGMOM120 (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My youngest son is going through a difficult stage and I know how frustrating it is. I have found, as have several of my pals with difficult boys, that they are acting out because of something happening or not happening elsewhere. My son started acting out when I got really ill. He was scared. I didn't address it properly because I didn't know what was going on and it spiralled. ADD is diagnosed so rapidly nowadays. I was grateful when the pediatrician said to give him Melatonin (a natural sleepaid that comes in pills, mouth spray and losenges) for sleep, counseling and putting him in sports. Karate really helped - I recommend Karate, Inc. it is nationwide, created by Chuck Norris and puts major emphasis on family, community and self-discipline.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 7:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It could be more than ADHD. I would have your child evaluated by a psychologist or developmental Ped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I just had my 5 yrs old tested and I was expeienceing the same things as you. He would kick teachers hits otherr kids whne he dosen't get his way ect... we are looking into putting him on meds.
    The testing went good, we found out that on a visual he's like a genius! But on the verbal he just couldn't consintrate on the questions, so we think that this may hurt him on a learning level as he gets older, that is why I am going to try meds.
    I would deff see a phsycologist, but they won't test until they are 5 yrs old
    NothinShockin

Answer by NothinShockin at 8:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have diagnosed several young children living with ADHD. But it may not be ADHD. Anxiety, depression, PTSD, juvenile onset of bipolar disorder, adjustment disorder...the list is endless - all can look like ADHD. It is not difficult to diagnose at a younger age. Not if you have a skilled clinician who has worked with young children and well educated in ADHD. The DSM says the child must have symptoms of onset before age seven. It doesn't say you have to be seven or older. My thought would be to see a developmental behaviorist who specializes in behaviors. It is an M.D. who works with families and children who experiences are similar to yours. The doctor can evaluate your child, recommend a course of treatment, and most likely make a referralto a licensed therapist as well.  A psychologist has their place but there are many professionals who work with and diagnose children.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:08 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• In fact, most psychologists do not diagnose ADHD at all! They do testing for more in depth issues usually. Such as learning issues or things like autism. And I have known children who have worked with psychologists before age five. Talk to your pediatrician. At my clinic the doctors I work with will usually refer a child to me to assist in the process.  They may suspect but then I assist in a more in depth psychosocial evaluation.  This helps me weed out other possibilities while the doctors weed out potential medical issues that may be causing the issues of concern.  The biggest hurdle.  It takes time.  You want answers now and sometimes it can take a long time to accurately pin point what is going on.  If this were my child I would start with his primary care doctor ask request referrals to specialists he thinks will be able to further assist us.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• A good nneuropsychologist will give you some answers. Sounds like your child might have a disability
    tamik981

Answer by tamik981 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Like the others said, letting him talk to a therapist could help. He could also be having a reaction to his diet. I had a child who was very active, and he had to much sugars in his diet (carbs) he also could not handle ketchup. that might be something to try on a small scale, also, boys have more active brains, and it could help letting him stand up to do his homework. They can focus better when they are engaging their large motor skills when trying to do a task.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011