Would I be held legally responsible for a child under 18 that is staying the night in my home?

......even if I am not related to them? I am 98% sure that I would be, I am just hanging my hopes right now on that last 2 %.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It depends on the situation, if you were reasonabley doing your job as a parent then you should be fine but if the kid did something as a result of your negelect then you could be in trouble too. Ex, if the kid got drunk at a party, drove home and got into a wreck, you would not be responsible, but if the kid got drunk in your home when you were home or when you were supposed to be home (like you told their parents you would be home) and then drove and got into a wreck then you could be responsible with him because you knew/should have know he was drinking and shouldn't be driving
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Buy law yes! If you know or feel they are doing something illegal then it would be in your best interest to contact parents or appropriate authorities asap!
    Drayad

Answer by Drayad at 3:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Thank you Drayad......that's what I thought and why I just flipped out on my SO, LONG STORY there! How do you KNOW this, do you KNOW this as fact? I need proof, a link or something. I trust no one, no offense meant whatsoever.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 3:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• do you raise your consciousness with percentage ??!!!!
    in adition to me, it should refers to your individual awareness of your unique thoughts about the person who's sharing many things with you under ''your rooof'' specailly that he's under 18, if you feel that you need to rais a legal request about it so go ahead ;)

i hope u'll understand my answer :D))))
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 4:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• @caramelH.....no, I do not! I get the feeling though that I would need to explain much further for you to understand, and the whole situation is VERY complicated and would take a whole lot of detailed explanation for u to fully understand the specifics. I was just hoping for a few basic answers regarding the basics I posed, lol!
    I am pretty sure I already know the answer anyway, I was just IRATE at the situation my SO put me in tonight and posing this question was just kind of my way of venting my frustration with the situation in the moment.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 4:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• So redneck, iimmature and not a role model for a young child. Poor role model. Why do you wonder what your makes your kids the way they are.
    i just copy and past what you wrote to me , and this fits much with your situation cause my Question was for fun and it was abt T-shirts i dont know why did u post this even !!!
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 5:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes you are. If they are drinking, you could be sued, lose EVERYTHING and be charged and jailed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Sorry, but yes. There is an implied legal responsibility that is handed off when a parent gives permission for their child to go to someone elses house. And an even bigger one when you ALLOW THEM INTO YOUR HOUSEHOLD. IF YOU ALLOWED ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES TO HAPPEN UNDER YOUR ROOF BY A MINOR - YOU CAN BE CHARGED! Even if they were caught later.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2011