Is baby cereal considered a solid?

I've heard not to start solids until about 6 mos. but I'm thinking of introducing cereal at about 4 mos.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes baby cereal is a solid.

watch for your baby's signs of readiness.

Anonymous

• Yes, it is considered a solid. Anything but formula or breastmilk is considered a solid. Some babies are ready at 4 months though. Some things to look for is interest in your food, good head control, able to sit with assistance, and doubling birth weight.

Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more info on introducing solids, and how to make your own baby food. They do reccomend 6 months there.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Anonymous

• Yes it is a solid but if your baby isn't getting full enough it is a great idea to start cereal, It will constapate them to start with but it will help them get fuller and sleep better (longer), My son has acid reflux and we started him on it about 2 months in his bottle to help the food stay down.
    supermomof924

Answer by supermomof924 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yes.
    salamaat

Answer by salamaat at 11:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Unless your baby has a medical condition (like acid reflux as supermom said) it really isn't a good idea to put cereal in the bottle. I know the op wasn't suggesting that, but I thought it should be said just in case. At this point solid foods should just be practice. Your baby should be getting all of their nutrition from breastmilk or formula.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes.

Solids = anything not breastmilk or formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes. Anything other than breastmilk or formula is a solid. Introduction of solids too early has been linked to increased likelihood of food allergies. Personally, I'd wait until 6 months as recommended.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 2:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes it is considered a solid. If you are considering starting your child on solids (which I don't recommend at this age) I'd at least tell you to give something with nutritional value, such as a fruit or vegetable. I think infant cereal is disgusting, and the only nutrients it has are added.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008