She's A Hugger..

My DD is almost 4 and sometimes wants to hug every kid in her class before she leaves. Most boys aren't down for this. Anyone else have a kid like this? WHY does she do this? LOL I'm not too concerned, it just gets awkward when a boy ignores her haha

ceemuhreeashbee

Asked by ceemuhreeashbee at 4:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Awwww that's sweet. I used to work in daycare and kids are very much affectionate at times and just glad to see their friends each morning and they hugged bye at the end of the day too.

I can see where the boys are not down for this as you put it! Love that.......hopefully she won't be offended but if some one says some thing, just play it off and say.....awwww boys! You know how some boys can be, some like hugs and some don't like cars and some like trucks.

Hopefully she wont even BE offended by friends not wanting to hug like her.....just remind her she has friends that DO!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Haha, some of the boys are like "Okay!".. there's one who is a year older and SUCH a classic boy :) Lucy asked him for a hug before Christmas Break and he looked up at his mom and sighed.. I could just see the "Do I HAVE to?" in his eyes hehe

I tried to tell her some people just aren't huggers.. and it was like I was speaking a foreign language to her LOL
    ceemuhreeashbee

Comment by ceemuhreeashbee (original poster) at 4:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• How sweet. Is your family kissy huggy. Maybe she comes by it from example. It is important that she learn that she does not hug everyone. Physical contact needs to be selective and purposeful.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That's wonderful that she has that kind of personality. As for the boys' reactions, as long as she doesn't mind it, you shouldn't either. It seems like she just wants to show her friends that she likes them and can't wait to see them again! Good job, mom
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 7:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Aw thank you!
    ceemuhreeashbee

Comment by ceemuhreeashbee (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2011