shedding dog

I have a Jack russel and omg she sheds sooo bad all the time!!Is there anything that i can do to slow it down or fix it all together?It is so bad!!

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 5:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Not to one up mind you, but I have a collie that is just as bad as yours if not worse!! Aggravates me to NO end as well!

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 5:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Brush the dog and give the dog a bath.

Answer by louise2 at 6:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I agree with lousie2....bathe and put a conditioner on her, It sounds like her skin is drying and that would make her shed more. I had a terrier and of course she shed, but not to the point that your describing. Hope this remedy helps.........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 12:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• What do you feed your dog? That can play a part in the shedding if it is a low quality food. Get yourself a Furminator brush as well. They are amazing. They do an excellant job of getting the undercoat so that there is less shedding. I have 3 dogs and 4 cats since I have used this brush I have not had to vaccuum as much because there is a lot less hair.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• good luck i have a german shepherd and she sheds another dog a day lol brush her make her fur healthly buy a VERY good sweeper
    devonsmama1

Answer by devonsmama1 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• our tobys a jack russell too and aarrrggghhh lol ive no idea
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree with KyliesMom. A switch to a high quality brand of food should help some. Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for ratings for starters. If the food you are feeding has corn, wheat, or soy, your dog could be allergic or these grains could be fermenting in the digestive tract (probiotics could also help with that). You can also give her salmon oil...very high in omegas = good for the skin/hair/heart/brain. Brush her atleast once/day during shedding season; every other day during non-shedding season.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Shedding amount really has most to do with breed of dog. Some breeds naturally shed more than others. The only time you need to worry is when you see bald or hairless patches. Other than that, if the skin is a nice even light pink color with no excess oil or flakes and the hair is not rough or brittle (unless your Jack Russell is a wire-hair), the most likely reason is just breed. Brushing more frequently will help to pull out loose hairs so they fewer fall out all over your house, but the amount your dog sheds typically will remain the same. Diet or supplement alterations to boost skin and hair condition will only help if you have dry skin or hair issues, otherwise, don't be too hasty to blame the diet. Same goes for shampoos and conditioners.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 9:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011