If you somehow found out...

That some commonly held belief my millions of people (for centuries) was totally false, would you keep it to yourself? Tell someone in authority (with proof of course)?

It has the potential to be historically and socially altering (on a global scale) and change how people viewed things they held as truth for so long. Yet the evidence you found is irrefutable, but its just you that knows about it.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would definitely share it. I'd probably go to the academic/scientific community first with the news. They would be better able to help me present the news to the world. Knowledge should be shared and even though big revelations can rock the boat and upset the status quo, paradigm shifts have occurred throughout history with enlightening results (i.e. the world is not flat).
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 7:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'm not sure. I would probably share it, but in a delicate way. I'm one of those who believe that each of us has to find our own way, that there is no absolute right or wrong, that truth is subjective because of its transcendence, that God allows us to come to truth through our various perceptions and understandings so that we can get the most out of our faith, etc.

I'm also the kind of person, though, who believes that just because something may be false (for example, saying something never happened, like the flood) doesn't mean that its wrong, as there is truth and meaning that can still be found. I don't believe much of the Bible, for instance, is literal, but still draw much inspiration and understanding from it...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Share - but I wouldn't expect anything to come of it. There are already hundreds of false things believed by millions of people, and even though there are mountains of evidence to the contrary, they choose to ignore it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Share it
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 7:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Share it
    Mamaie

Answer by Mamaie at 11:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• hmm...share it with those around me to see how they handle it first. id start with my DH and then my dad (a preacher). if they could handle it, i'd move on to the academic community. id still be very gentle w/ it b/c a lot of ppl are very defensive of their faith and i'd hate to make ppl feel attacked. but id want the information to be out there for those who want to hear it.

now thats if the religion was Christianity. if it was Islam or another large faith id probably keep it to myself a lot longer b/c i wouldnt know how to go about sharing it without sounding like a jerk and it would be a lot harder for others to accept it seeing as i myself am not a believer of that faith. but eventually id share it in the most delicate way possible and thru academics.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:17 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Sounds to me like someon has been watching one too many movies inspired by the books of Dan Brown.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would break that story faster than a jet breaking the sound barrier!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't know ... I think the news could do more damage than good.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't know that I'd share it. People need to believe in something, and as long as it wasn't harming someone to believe who am I to take away their faith?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2011