Do you let your older kids use social networking sites?

Do you monitor them closely and have their login info so you can see what they are doing?

Do you know if your kids know they can make another account you don't know about and just let you think they only have the one so you can see what you want to see?

Many kids are so savvy nowadays, they know they can get as many free email addys as they want and they know they can create multiple accounts and we'd have no idea about them. Scary.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yeah you just have to be careful of that. There's no way to really find out. You gotta trust them not to do these things, but again there's really no way to prove it. They may set it up from somewhere else and only use it when not at home. When at home, they may only use the one you know about. I wouldn't put it past kids nowadays.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I let my kids have accounts, and yes, we do monitor them. We also have various safeguards in place that makes it very difficult for them to have accounts we don't know about. However, there comes a point when you have to have an element of trust.

After all, for all we know, they could also be sneaking off, having sex in the parking lot at school, doing drugs instead of going to the movies, it could be vodka in that water bottle, etc...

We just have to make it as hard as we can for them to do things they shouldn't, but also teach them to make wise choices and keep the lines of communication open.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I let my oldest have a Facebook account when he turned 13. We're "friends," and he knows I look at his page. I trust him to not make another page, he knows that if I find out he will lose computer privileges. I think it's important to let him try out some independence.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My children all have "FB" accounts and for those that are still minors, we monitor them. They know what their restrictions are - no adults that we don't know, no friending anyone they don't know, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My children did not get active on Myspace til they moved out, Thank god.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have everyone's passwords. In my house, I am the most tech savy.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2011