I love my coffee but...

The thing I love most about my morning coffee is the flavored creamers I put in it. Especially Hazlenut. But I use more than the suggested serving size and even if I use fat-free or sugar-free, I'm adding extra calories to my diet that add up fast.

Any suggestions on how to get that creamy, flavorful coffee without piling on extra calories? I don't want to use artificial sweeteners and skim milk is a little too skinny.

beshka76

Asked by beshka76 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I stopped using those yummy flavored creamers (vanilla was my favorite) about a year ago because, as delish as it is, it is adding extra calories and chemicals in the morning joe. I really can't suggest anything as a substitute...I just had to quit it cold turkey and let my taste buds adjust. At the same time, I reduced the amount of sweetener I was using as well. So now, here's how I take my coffee: 10 oz mug gets 1 almost-full level teaspoon of sugar, 1 almost-full level teaspoon of plain Lite powdered creamer, and a splash of milk. Is it as tantalizing as being drowned in vanilla flavoring? No, but it's still coffee and it still does the trick. You'll just have to acclimate to the different flavor in the name of health. Life's a bitch. :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Oh, and if you HAVE to have flavor, you could always use the flavored coffee beans instead of creamer. Not nearly as decadent, but perhaps worth looking into if you must have hazelnut.
    vicesix

• Have you tried soy milk?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• if u really addicted , just keep drinkin it and be happy whil doing it ;)
    just avoid other additive sweet yummy things during day ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 8:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• well, you can wean off the creamer and move into flavored coffees with 1-2% milk (even whole milk is better then creamers) and less sugar. also I have heard that the chocolate light silk is good in coffee. (My friend ran out of her mocha creamer and DS has a milk allergy so it was there)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You're probably more addicted to the flavor of the creamer than the creamer itself. What about if you use skim milk as creamer, then add a little bit of the creamer for flavor? Or, use the skim milk, and then add an extract for flavor?
    TiffanieJohnson

Answer by TiffanieJohnson at 9:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am in the exact same boat. I use this 1 large cup of coffee with creamer as my guilty pleasure. I do use any sweeteners or additional sugar. I can not drink coffee otherwise- and I have tried many times to eliminate the coffee, but the longest that I have lasted is 3 months.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I just learned how to like regular milk and sometimes add a dash of cinnamon to the coffee grounds before brewing or some chocolate syrup to the coffee after its made.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 4:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I was going to say cinnamon in the coffee grounds as well! It is so good
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You may have to read labels to check calories of certain flavors but there are all natural and some sugar free "syrups" from a company called Da Vinci where a little bit goes a long way. You can buy them online but i've also seen bottles in Marshalls and TJ Maxx
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2011