Why is my 3 year old taken over ?

My son that is 3 in ahalf is the cutest and can be the most loveable boy in the world but one problem if he dont get his way then its no way he tells me he dont like me and screams for his dad then a min later he misses me i dont know what is going on ! I just started putting him in a chair in the corner but he screams crazy and crys more he will sit there but try to escape n do things he wont eat for me hell he never eats i cut out junk what his dads been giving him because it seems like thats what he would fill up on ! I just need rules and also i just got him potty trained and he wear under wear to bed he had a few accidents i dont know if i should put diapers on him at night and he was doing good in his own bed but he still ends up in my bed i dont know what to do im getten walked all over when i tell him to pick him toys up he says no u do it he is mean to me then if i yell at him he screams crazy n throws him self to the floor n hits his head a million times for attenchen HELP PLEASE MOMS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds as though you are doing the right things- cutting out treats, confining him to the corner. If he gets hungry between meals I'd give him something that you'd eat at a meal- such as vegetables or fruits or cheese. As far as the tantrums, try ignoring- putting him where you don't have to look at him, or walking away without remark. If you only pay attention for desired behavior then this teaches him to get attention behave as he should. Accidents happen. If he is never dry at night then maybe some kind of diaper or pull up. Or get him up to use the potty. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I agree with Bmat. It sounds like you're doing the right things. It can be so frustrating, I know. Having been through it with my nephews and my own four children, I know how hard it is to stick to your guns. The most important thing is consistancy. I switched to no junk when my oldest was five and the next was 3, and it wasn't easy but SO worth it. Now my kids eat raw vegetables constantly and love wheat pasta and brown rice. If I had waited until they were older, I would have had WW3 on my hands with four kids. NO THANKS! My friends love having them over because they tell their kids that they "shouldn't eat that, it's junk and your body won't work right". I love that! As for the tantroms, unfortunately I found that age three was the worst year, at least for us. Just invest in a lot of bubble bath and chocolate and GOOD LUCK!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 7:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• If sitting in time out doesn't work you might try taking away a favorite thing. Each child has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away from our boys for an appropriate length of time as punishment. It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, occasionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it. Zero in on what makes him tick. Be Consistent!! Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again". That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on.

You and his dad need to talk things over and be united on what is and is not allowed......food, discipline, everything! The child will play you against each other if you do not agree on things. (will continue)

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• When a child is dry at night varies all over the place. Some are dry very early and others can take several years........to age, 6, 8 and older. It is normal and differs from child to child. Use pullups at night until he masters being dry. Relax about this and don't worry about it.

Lastly, make sure he gets enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when he does things right. This, along with positive reinforcement, goes a long way to making children feel special and lessen tensions in the house.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i teach new teachers on classroom management. Firstly have a talk with dad and get on the same page with rules. (Also,If he works a good bit he could be feeling guilty about it and compensating by giving in.) Once you have basic rules,BE CONSISTANT. Don't give in. i know it's hard. You get tired, and you feel guilty and upset when he's sad, but teaching him proper behaviors is better for him and worth the fight. When you give him a rule and tell him, get on his level, and make it simple, and include the consequence. Ex.: "John, we do not throw blocks, if you do, you have to sit in the quiet corner," and then i repeat them up to three to five times in a sing songy voice. "we do not throw the blocks, no,no,no." I also keep a skittle jar, where i reward good behavior with one skittle, but since your cutting out junk, you can try a Star Chart. Put up a star for good behavior, and reward it with a prize at the end of the week.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011