When should I start to worry aboutmy 5 year old eating too much?

We have a history of overeating in my family. My sister came to live with me recetly and her son is extreamly over weight and she is saying that my son is starting to eat like he did at his age. i am scared that he sees my nephew over eating that he thinks he needs to too??? I don't want him to be fat like me!

NothinShockin

Asked by NothinShockin at 8:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• You need to start now. Contact your doctor and ask him to reccommend a nutritionist. That would help. The whole family needs to start eating a more normal about. You can't just target your son. The adults have to model the actions you want him to take. It will be hard to make the changes, but with a lot of hard work, you can do it. It will improve the health of your whold family. I admire you for what you are doing.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i think you should worry when he's not playin or doing any effort to burn calories , just control what he's eating ; avoide giving him lots of sweet things cookies chocolate canndies ...ect , vegetables and milk are healthy dnt worry
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 9:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It sounds like it could be genetic. He is predisposed to it. But,u, can make sure he is active doing things he likes to do.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You should take your child to the dr and get him a checkup and find out if he is overweight right now. Then I would start limiting his snacking time giving him only fruits and veggies for snacks. Kids tend to eat the whole potato chip bag before they know it. Get him out of the house to run and play. If I were you I wouldn't buy anything unhealthy so he can't have the opportunity to get something he shouldn't have. You are right to be concerned right now 32% of the nations children are overweight.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• He is very active, and has just found out he is Adhd. and from what I understand he will probably start gaining weight when he starts meds.... He is not overwight right now.. but I am concerned since my nephew is like 17 and 400+ I am just really worried
    NothinShockin

Comment by NothinShockin (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Just make sure he is eating healthy and stays active.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• OP-a little off your original question but as far as the ADHD meds go it might depend on what meds he's on. My son's been on ADHD meds for about 6 months and he's actually losing weight. He doesn't eat much during the day and eats quite a bit at night when his meds wear off. Sorry I can't help with the overeating question but I wish you luck and hope the ADHD meds help. I know how hard it can be.
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It's not the amount of food that he eats, but the type of food he eats. If he's eating processed & junk foods, then you need to be concerned. He may not be ADHD. He may have food sensitivities that are causing problems. He should see an allergist for a food panel rast test for IgG & IgE antibodies. Even if all other possibilities are ruled out & it is ADHD, meds are not the only options.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Motherofhope-I agree that meds aren't the only option for ADHD but after exhausting many different options & therapies medication was the only thing that really helped my son. He's doing way better at school and has more friends and is just more focused. I was worried that it might make him zomieish since those are the stories I heard about meds but he is still active and healthy. I know this isn't the case for all kids but it seems like some people judge so quickly when they find out that people put there kids on meds for ADHD. Sometimes it is the only option that works.

Sorry OP-I know this isn't helping answer your question.
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I got a lecture from a FORMER doctor about my daughter's weight when she was 6. The thing is, I am not the mom who goes thru Mickie D's drive thru every other day, I rarely give my kids soda, and I ration Halloween candy (end up throwing most of it away by Xmas time). I was insulted because of all the people I know, I am one of the most conscientious about what I feed my family. Then I thought about how I was as a kid and how my daughter's father is and there is a tendency to be overweight. I'm thinking genetics is a huge factor in this. So, yes, make the diet changes, but don't beat yourself up. Like you said, it runs in the family. You have no control over genetics.
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011