disapline and my 6 year old

my 6 year old rarely does anything without arguing with me about doing it. cleaning her room, homework, or even being alone in the bathroom while brushing her teeth. she has to have me there coaching her telling her every step of the way and i have a 1 year old that needsmy attention too. what should i be expecting her to do alone without my help when it comes to chores and bathtime routines?

mom2autumnnick

Asked by mom2autumnnick at 9:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• she should be doing all of that by herself. i think the only thing my 5 yr old does without arguing is brush his teeth. everything else has to be step by step and omg! its getting annoying!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My 5 and 6 yr old will agrue with me about most anything. I've started telling them that if it's going to be a hassle then things will have to change. I tell then ahead of time what needs to be done and what I expect of them. If they can't do it then I can't prepare...... Like today ds has hockey so I will tell them that getting dressed and ready to go will be their responsibility so I can get their sister ready and have time to make snacks to take with us. If they don't do what they are supposed to then there will be no time for snacks. Snacks are a big thing for them! lol my 2 yr old is starting to show some of the same arguing traits that the older two have. I'm so excited about that! As for cleaning their rooms...... I'll tell them specifically what needs to be done, put the puzzles away and and the barbies in the bin. If they have a specific duty they're more likely to do it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• If they argue or tell me no then I gran a bag or empty bin and start to put the specific toys in that I told them to tidy. I have taken them away from them for a few days when it's come to this but they also don't put up much fuss anymore. lol
    Good luck with your dd.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My 5 yr old argues with me about alot of things. She can do many things on her own but I am there to help her too. She is only 5 and I dont expect her to know how to do everything by herself. I will for instance hand her her shoes and tell her which feet they go on and then if she has any problems I will step in and help her finish putting them on. When she gets dressed she likes to do it on her own, but I will wait and see if she asks for help.
    My daughter doesnt have any chores. I do all of that for her. The only thing I ask of her is to be good in school, do whatever homework she has, do after school sports, and to respect me and her dad at all times. She says yes maam, no sir, etc to adults and has to practice good manners. I think at 5 (almost 6) thats enough responsibility.

Answer by gemgem at 10:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• There is a wonderful book called Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort; you should be able to find it at your local library. Learn more here:  http://www.naomialdort.com/

You might also benefit from this website:  http://www.enjoyparenting.com/dailygroove

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011