What do you think about the new US Passport applications?

"Parent One, Parent Two to replace references to mother, father on passport forms"

"The State Department has decided to make U.S. passport application forms "gender neutral" by removing references to mother and father, officials said, in favor of language that describes one's parentage somewhat less tenderly."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/07/AR2011010706741.html

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks for the heads up. I'm competing for the number 1 spot. LOL. DH will just have to be #2!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think that this change addresses the steps, adoptive, and guardians for kids as well. The legal guardian(s) may be female but not the mother, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't care about what it says, but how much is this costing??? We don't need any extra expenses right now.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• So, who is parent 1 and who is parent 2? I like 'mother', 'father'. It is the simplest, straight-forward perspective. The majority of the population are mom and dad.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I get that this change reflects the change in the traditional nuclear family, but what about addressing the multitude of other familial scenarios...biological versus adoptive parents, step parents, legal guardianships, etc.

-----

Sounds like changing it to Parent 1 and Parent 2 could cover some of those scenarios as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• How about "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" and then the whole application could rhyme like it was written by Dr. Seuss.

But seriously, our school registration papers changed over long ago to just two spaces for "Parent" and then a blank to self identify "Relationship"- we do not have 1 or 2 as a qualifier.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am definitely parent one.

Amen.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Who cares if it says Parent One and Parent Two.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Overall, I'm sick to death of the political correctness of every little thing, but this doesn't bother me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The best part is that I will have a federal document telling everyone that I'm #1! WhoooHooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2011