help...my son is 18 months old and i'm wanting to start potty training him but everyone says he is still too young. When did u guys start doing it? and how?

potty training

Sandradt

Asked by Sandradt at 7:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started w/ both my boys at 2. Not saying it can't be done before that. But they have to show signs of readiness: like knowing when they have to go pee or poop and telling you that they did or have any interest in the potty. I started by putting both my boys on the toilet so they faced the back of the toilet to avoid the spraying messes and we used cheerios as a game to either sink or aim at the cheerios. We just made it fun and had lots of parties in the bathroom when they did go. Both my boys were potty trained in a weekend and completely trained at naps and bedtime in 2 weeks. I found it to really help if we let them run around the house completely naked, that way they knew they had to use the bathroom because they no longer had their diaper.
    shanda2bz

Answer by shanda2bz at 7:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You can start any time that you feel comfortable. My son and I have been doing what I call "lazy potty training" since he was 15 months old. He's been able to show me signs since 14 months that he was about to go potty, so I look for those signs and if I notice them then we get on the potty ASAP! But we're not too worried about getting him completely trained right now so we're not going at it as hardcore as we could (only use big boy underwear, getting on the potty before and after naps, etc). I know of plenty of moms who have started their child's PTing at 18 months and had success, others it has taken a while for their child to get the hang of it. I say try it out, and if it doesn't seem to be working then don't stress out about it. And if it does work - then rock on!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If he's showing signs then there is nothing wrong with it. My DS was potty trained (not counting sleep times) by the time he was 2 years old. By the time he was 2 1/2 -3 years old we stop using the diapers at nap/bedtime because he was staying dry then.

My DS pushed himself to be potty trained because of my DD. She's only 10 months younger then him and he didn't want to be in diapers like the "baby". His words to me.....

So if he is showing signs then by all means give it a shot and if it becomes to stressful for everyone stop for a while and try again later.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Best time to start is age 2 to 3, but have to go on his cues. Don't push it or he will not want to do it. Look up at www.google.com and type in Potty training help for boys. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Oh, also look on here for the "potty training for boys" group :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If he's showing at least half of the readiness signs, then he's not too young. If you start too soon though, you will actually finish later than if you had waited until he was ready.

If you don't know the signs, get a good potty training book. It will have a list of the signs to look for as well as suggestions of ways to start. I like "The No-cry Potty Training Solution".

Remember, half of all kids are trained by 2.5 years. That means the other half is trained after that age.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• who cares what other people say he is your kid I started potty training when my daughter turned one it is up to you if you think your kid is ready why not good luck
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i started my boy at 12 months
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2008