Tubes tied? Which procedure did you use?

Thinking about having this done. Do you recommend having it done right after birth or Laparoscopically later on? Which procedure did you choose & please share your experience. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Health

• I was 35 when I had my tubes tied...10 weeks after the birth of our second child. Even then my Ob/Gyn DIDN'T want to perform it, in case I changed my mind, and kept pushing me to have my husband get a vasectomy instead (which was NEVER gonna happen LOL)!!

I had a laparoscopic tubal ligation and was in and out of the hospital in less than 5 hours. Other than a little tenderness at the site of the three 1/4" incisions, I was fully functioning a couple of hours later when the grogginess of the general anesthesia completely wore off. I was given prescription level Motrin (800 mg), which I took for a day or two. The stitches dissolved, and haven't had any trouble since--nearly 7 years later.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Mine were tied and cut at birth since I had a c-section with number 2. It was the right decision for us and I am stiff comfortable with my choice 3 years later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Forgot to add, that unless I had a C-section, my doctor would not perform the surgery at the time of birth. It HAD to be a separate procedure.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:05 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had mine done about 4 months after the birth of my last child. I could have had it done in the hospital but chose not to because I knew going home with a new baby would be hard enough without having to deal with my own extra pains because of the surgery. I waited until she was sleeping through the night and more manageable where someone could come help me some. It worked out best for me that way, and I am happy with my decision to have it done that way.

Answer by gemgem at 10:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had my tubes cut and cauterized after my 2nd csection (5th child) at the age of 36. I had thought about having it done when I had my 3rd child at 27, but am SO glad I didn't! I had gotten married at 20, but divorced at 32 (before 30 I had never even considered divorce!), met and married a man who had never been married and never had kids. He had already said it didn't matter to him if we had more kids, but I'm glad that we were able to have the 2 that we have together.

Answer by missanc at 10:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had mine done when I had my c-sect. My SIL couldn't get hers done at the birth of her last child like someone else said she had to go back in at a later date.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I suggest Essure. I love it. I had it done like 7 months after my second kid because it took that long to find a doctor willing to do it on me due to my age.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:20 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• lo. Still not stiff.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Mine was going to be done right after birth however, since I almost died at birth and was still ill they waited till my health was better then doctor said he was going to cut, burn, tie and whatever else he could think of while doing proceedure and I agreed, he said no way would I get pregnant afterwards.........................I did though and miscarried, th eonly for sure way is just excluding sex from life apparently but good luck with that,LOL.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2011