Breastfeeding

I just want to see who all is planning to BF? I am no formula at all if its possible! My goal is a year! what about you ladies?

brittany320

Asked by brittany320 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I wasnt able to BF my first 2. But I am going to try with this one. I plan to feed her myself for 6m and pump so others can feed her then after 6m just pump and give it to her in a bottle because IMO after that a child is to big to be sucking on my breast. But like i said thats just me.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I would like to BF as long as possible.. I just don't know how long its appropriate.. .i can't imagine still having a one year old planning on eating from my breast..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yeah i understand that, but like starting them on bottles in the 5th or 6th month and as soon as they turn one just ween them off! Or whatever your planning on! Some like doing it for a VERY long time! Even up to 4 years old! I seen this thing on an 8 year old still breastfeeding! That grosed me out big time! UGH! lol!
    brittany320

Answer by brittany320 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yeah i was watching a baby show the other day and it was a "what are they doing now" show and the baby was 18m old and still on the breast. Not as bad as 8!! but it still was a little weird to me.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I am getting ready to have #5, and plan to BF as long as possible (up to her first year). With my first I didn't have the milk to keep her full and at 2months I was in the hospital with my gallbladder and my milk just dried up. My second pregnancy I had twins and BF them both (with formula too) for three months and just couldn't do it any longer. With my youngest he BF till he was just about a year old and went straight to a cup. He REFUSED bottles. Even those with my milk in them, he would choke those down only when he was starving. I don't see myself going longer than a year. When they can eat real food, I think its time to stop. IMO
    giegie0726

Answer by giegie0726 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Two years is the minimum recommendation of the World Health Organization.

And breastmilk IS real food. In many respects, more real than other foods like infant cereal...it's packed with more vitamins and nutrients, gram per gram, than even fortified cereal.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I am still BFing my youngest(he's 20 months) and will BF the new baby as well. Due to ignorance, stupid doctors and lack of support I didn't do well with my first 4 kids but now we're nursing strong. Don't let past failures stop you.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• yeah, when i had my first kids, i didn't like to breastfeed. i like giving bottle. it's up to you if you do or not.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 1:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008