IGA Stores - where do they fall in terms of quality and price?

When we move next year, this is the main store in town. WalMart and Albertson's are in the next town over. Safeway and Costco are in the town past that. And there's a Fred Meyer about 45 minutes away. What's best?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 11:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Shopping

• the stores vary because they are independently owned, my uncle owns 3 and his prices are a little higher than a walmart on a lot of things, but they have excellent prices on meats and huge meat sales... i buy the bulk of my groceries at kroger and my emergency items at my uncles IGA and all of my meats... they also have a lot of good sales!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i just started shopping at IGA and im very pleased with it. I also shop at walmart. In PA where i moved from we had aldis and it was good priced also i never bought meat there tho. I have bought meat at IGA its okay.
    devonsmama1

Answer by devonsmama1 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The one here is comparable to other grocery stores in the area. We also have Kroger, WalMart, and Meijer... but it does vary by store. The one I have been in was very dark and always looked disorganized. But they had really good sales, and they sold the same brand name stuff as the others. I don't shop there anymore because we moved a little farther away from it, and my family has always been more of Kroger shoppers.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 11:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The IGA store here in our town has some really greta buys. I love shopping in there when I get the chance. I have only heard of Wal_Mart and Safeway from the others you have mentioned so I can't compare anything to them.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The I ga store by my home has some really good sales. They use to have good meat prices but lately their meat prices have been high.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011