Why do you think immigration laws exist?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• To be broken! lol

No I think they are in place to make sure that we are keeping this country as safe as possible as well as making sure those entering the country are registered to pay taxes. With out laws anyone could come in and never pay one dime into our tax pool that pays for so many things and yet still taking advantage of our gov funded programs. The laws IMO are a safety net as well as damage control.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The more people in a country the bigger the strain on resources, the larger the threat of attack from within and if there's no way of vetting or tracking who is coming through the borders then there's no way of knowing where people are or what they're doing and how to keep the current population safe.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would hope they will screen out criminals. I can't think of any other way to justify the laws. It would have to be a way to prevent people with criminal records out of the USA.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think leah rai is partially right. Although I think it has less to do with worrying about "attack from within" and more about the resources. Example Katrina: The gov't ER svcs already had a hard time getting to and servicing all the people that needed it. Now imagine there is a huge "undocumented" population. How much less food; water; and transportation room would there have been? How much longer could it have taken to get them all out; to keep them all fed and hydrated? Who would have rec'vd the blame? The gov't. Why? Because they didn't even know how many people they had to provide for in that emergency.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It's actually both.

We want to make sure we aren't getting another country's serial killers, and we need to make sure we have the resources for all the incoming people. It's really not to punish people.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Health is also an issue. We don't want someone with infectious diseases to come here and infect others. In the past, they were screened on arrival. If a disease was suspected, they were quarantined for a brief period before being let into the general population.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'll, answer but only if you promise not to troll me with a question just for me taking my answer out of context after I go to bed ;)

They exist because we have limited resources - both natural and systemic, and just like every other country on the planet, we need laws controlling the flow of demand on those resources. It's tied to everything from pollution to employment. There are over 5 BILLION people on the planet living in poverty. We can't help them all, so we have to have a way to regulate how many of them get in. Illegals are saying they are better and more special than those other 5 BILLION people, and they deserve to get in line ahead of them, even the babies and the sick ones.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• well, crap.

That just shot my whole plan right in the foot. :D
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• http://www.libertystatepark.com/emma.htm

Good thing to read and remind ourselves.....BELOW:

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Good thing to read and remind ourselves.

Good thing to read and remind YOURself:
    5 BILLION people
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2011