anyone's LO have a homemade toybox/storage? built by you or someone else as an heirloom?

have any photos or good websites/books you'd recommend? DS has 2 toy boxes and adding a third one wouldnt be very ideal. It would look sloppy since they are all different. And buying a new one can be expensive (I havent had luck on craiglist). My friend suggested making my own and what a cool idea!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My father in law made and painted DS toy box. It is just a very basic rectangle with a lid on safety hinges. What makes his special is that he used his jig saw to make the letters of his name on it. I will try at some point to find a pic to post.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• how cute but mommie!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had one when I was a kid that my mom made out of wood and stained herself but my mom kept it. It was actually supposed to be a blanket chest but I used it as a toy box growing up. I need to make some myself but my boys will definitely need more than one, they have way too many toys.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My son has one - it's actually a blanket box that my brother made when he was in middle school woodshop, but it's really nice!

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My dad made one for me when I was a baby, and now I have it for my kids. It doesn't hold a lot of toys, but when the lids are shut it's a nice place to sit & play, and it also has a top part to it with 2 shelves for additional storage. When the time comes, my DH and FIL are going to build me some very basic boxes with lids (I'm thinking 3 ft high x 3 ft deep x 6 feet long/wide) and I'm going to make some cushions to go on top, along one whole side or maybe 2 sides of the play room. That way when they're done playing or we have people over they can be used as extra seating or they can sit on them to play. (It really helps that my FIL builds all kinds of stuff like that, it's just a matter of getting it decided on, lol!)
    Anonymous

• we built a wall of cubes, like the IKEA one, and bought many clear storage boxes and baskets. We dont use toy boxes as they breed more messes since kids have to dig to find the right toy. My kids know what goes where and it looks really cool, we painted it in shades of blue with lighter on top fading to darker with each shelf as it goes down. It wasnt hard to make as long as you can cut squares, and nail 4 together. Good luck with your project.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2011