Should schools bother with dress codes anymore!?

I have read more articles in the past few months about parents suing the school, coach or team leaders over dress codes they feel are unethical. Examples: (no I don't have any links but I am sure you can goolge them) the girl who was asked to remover her facial piercing, the boy who was told not to wear pink cleats, the boy asked to cut his hair to be on the basketball team and the young boy who was asked not to wear his religious knife looking necklace. Though I don't think every situation was handled well the fact remains that they were against dress code. Well maybe not the cleats... Anyway you get the idea. Is it ridiculous that parents are fighting dress codes or their child's 'rights'? Dress codes have been in place for a long time and continue to get more and more lenient. Anyone else find this insane?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. I think they should. I also think parents should stop letting their children dress like they do. Seriously, some of those girls look they they are hooker trolling for johns.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I agree with layh, why are kids allowed to leave the house like that even if school doesn't have code parents should.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 12:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes, agreed. But with the way parents show up at school to pick up their kids you wonder that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.Catholic School is even worse sometimes. One coochie momma was told not to wear her hotpants and then they even told what length the skirts had to be. It is such a joke. I think self expression is fine but on your own time in school look decent not like a light bulb or a go go dancer.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am not for them but I am for parents not letting their kids go around looking like trash.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Both my kids go to catholic school. They have strict dress codes that everyone sticks to. We wouldn't go to those schools and pay that kind of money if we didn't want to follow the rules.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Dress codes are good. I went to a Catholic school for 9 years and had a uniform. Then I went to public school where they actually enforced the dress codes...we couldn't wear shorts until my sophmore year in high school and only because there was no ac and too many kids were getting sick from the insane heat. My son goes to a charter high school and they have a strict dress code. M-TH khakis or cords and collared shirts. NO pants hanging to their knees, proper lenghts, etc. On Friday, they can wear jeans and a Harborside Academy shirt. But, if 4 or more kids per grade level are out of dress code M-TH, Friday dress down in cancelled.

Parents need to stop letting their kids out of the house dressed inappropriatley and they need to stop buying the inappropriate clothes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes. I think parents need to sop buying clothes that aren't appropriate for school/public, first and foremost..but if they don't, they need to at least pay attention to what their kid is wearing or sneaking to school. Dress codes are necessary, but should be more strict and come with a harsher punishment.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Dress codes have to be adhered to otherwise the chance for more rebellious and bullying habits can be stopped or lessened.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Dress codes are very important to have because the distracting styles do not belong in a place of education and learning. If your students are wearing unifoms there is less bullying and showing off too. But the parents have to cooperate and realize they are also an example and not show up looking so slutty or full of distracting metal objects and ink when by the school. It starts from the home.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Dress codes are and will always be necessary. What they need to do is crack down and get serious with the dress code because in my opinion they're TOO lenient with it, atleast that was the case in the highschool i went to. Some of the parents are ridiculous too, and if they want their kid dressing like a slut or like he just stepped out of Rolling Stones magazine then keep your kid home. School is a place to learn.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011