Anyone have a home remedy for dog ear mites?

Not sure, but my dog is an older dog and he's a Cocker, I know they are prone to ear issues. Anyway, I noticed a discharge from his ear and he's always scratching it. It's either an infection or mites. He's going to the groomers on Tues. Anyway, does anyone know of a home remedy I can help him with right now??

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Pets

• If the discharge is dark it is a yeast infection which is quite common in cockers... easy solution is to take a dab of monistat on a qtip after cleaning out the ear and rub it inside but dont go too deep with it. It will clear the infection and ease the itching. Also if it is a chronic ear issues it could be food allergies eliminate wheat, soy and corn from his diet and watch those ears stay clear. Try diamond Naturals Dog food in lamb and rice formula. You can buy it for 26$ for a 40 pound bag at rural King or trator supply stores, changed my dogs life really. Add 1/4 cup of plain live culture yogurt to his food every day too. If the discharge is sticky lighter colored or reddish it is ear mites and requires a vet visit.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The baby oil makes sense because my vet advised me of using regular olive oil to help my dogs if an issue came up before I could come in. Oil suffocates the mites, also works on fleas. It doesnt however work on any eggs or what not already there.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• use some vinegar diluted with water and cotton balls to clean it out. It won't clear up the mites or an infection but it may make him feel better for a little bit until you can get him some meds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Tea tree oil can help prevent them in the future.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My mom told me about using baby oil with cotton balls to clean it out. She said it kills the mites, I havent tried it yet but she said it works.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• PURPLE STUFF

INGREDIENTS:
    16 oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
    4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1% THIS STUFF STAINS SO BE CAREFUL!
    Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to
    disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use put in a squirt bottle

Treat 2 x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears. Treat 1 x
    per day for the next 1-2 weeks. Treat 1 x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog). All of
    these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. Despite the alcohol, the dog will not object to even the
    first treatment. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti infection
    agent. The Solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the
    2nd or 3rd day you can clean out t
    Supermama323

Answer by Supermama323 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2011