Do you give your kids an allowance?

We started giving my 2 and a half year old an allowance. How we do it is through 4 consistent rules that we have posted in our kitchen. She has the rules eye level in picture form so she can remember what each rule is. We also review it many times with her. Every day at the end of the day she puts up a sticker if she met the goal. She knows these rules and for each sticker she earns she gets a dime. At the end of the week it adds up and every two weeks we go to the dollar store for prize day.

Does anyone else do allowances? How have they worked for you?

My daughter is still young and doesn't quite get the WHOLE concept- but she completely understands that she needs to get her stickers and her stickers mean money for toys.

Share with me what you do.

Thanks,

Hugs,

Dani

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 12:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

•  I give my nine year old an allowance, but only if he "earns" it. He has to do well in school and make his bed, take out the trash,vacuum the living room. If he doesn't do his chores everyday without fail , he doesn't receive his allowance. We've found that he is developing a healthy respect for money and he now realizes that the things he wants, he has to earn.   He has even started asking me if I need help in the kitchen!  I love this kid!

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• What your doing right now is AWSOME!! It will teach her good behavioral skills and the value of earning a reward! Kudos to You Mom!

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think an allowance should only be tied to "extra" chores--not those that already should be expected of the child as part of the family. A child should have a list of extra things he can do to earn more money. I think that teaches a child that he should get "rewarded" for doing what he should be out of being part of a family unit. An allowance should be just that--money he is allowed to have. BUT for every time you have to remind him to do his chores, deduct a certain amount---the child then gets what is left at the end of the week. Lesson: you have to do what is your responsibility if you want paid--just like at a real job. If he refuses or gets lazy--he doesn't earn any money. It may seem like the "normal allowance" for chores but it has a better affect--he learns that work is part of life. And the money he loses he is actually "paying" to you to remind him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Well, my oldest is only 2 but we are setting up a "reward" system as aposed to an allowance. My husband and I (with the kids when they are older) choose a number of "prizes" they want to achieve. Each prize is assigned with a point total. Then they receive or loose points depending on their behavior. Each chore is assigned with point, as well as going potty, not fighting all day... as well as hitting, biting and throwing... We are setting up a magnet chart for the boys to use as kids with stars to rep the points... Each day we right down how many points they have and keep track of their total number of points in their "points bank" At any time they can exchange points for prizes or they can save them up for the big stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We figure it's a great way to teach a lot of different skills such as addition and subtraction, saving and spending, earning and loosing... Once they reach school age we will most likely give them a monitary allowance to pay for things like school lunch and supplies and then allow them to earn extra money and points by doing extra chores or getting all A's that kind of thing...

• Anon: so what you are saying is IF they do what they are supposed to be doing the get thier entire allowance but if they don't they don't get their money... Isn't that EXACTLY the same as only earning thier money if they do their chores??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My kids get an allowance. My two younger get 15$ every 2 weeks and my oldest gets 25$ every two weeks. My kids pay for what they want. They don't get paid for doing chores. They get paid for being good kids. If their behavior goes into the toilet, I keep thier "paycheck". Their job right now goes way beyond doing chores. They have to learn to be good community members, responsible people, tolerant and respect. (I have NOT told them that is why they are being paid.) They think it is for the chores. I am just waking up, I don't know if it made sense. :O( LOL
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I've done allowances from the time each of my children were 3 years old. They had to earn it, it was not a given. Also, the one rule we had was that they had to save 1/2 of anything they earned (this also was the rule for any birthday money or xmas money they got). I felt is was important that they not only learn to work for money but get in the habit early of saving. It's worked very well; I have not had to buy my children toys or gadgets or DVDs or music CDs because they've been buying their own since they were very young AND they've been able to save up a boatload of money in their savings account.
    Anonymous

• my son is 4. his "allowance" is a quarter every week because he has a collection going and he gets one hot wheels every 2 weeks because he collects those as well. BUT to get those things he has to work for them. If mommy has to work to make the money to give up then he has to work to earn these "rewards" he has a responsibility chart he has to go by. you can do this online as well at www.handipoints.com. it has a pretty cool chart
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We do not give our children an allowance, but we do hand over money rather easily if they have helped around the house without being asked, had a great attitude, good grades etc. We also make our kids give 1/4 of all money they rcv, be it birthday, Christmas etc to a charity of their choice.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008