home school or public school?

I am debating on whether to try home schooling with K-12 Virtual Academy or sending my twins to public school in the fall (kindergarten). Which do you do?

pennycandy

Asked by pennycandy at 12:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally I would enroll them in public school, nothing can beat the social interaction that they receive in school.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It depends on your reasons for wanting to consider homeschooling them. I personally don't have the patience to home school and I don't think my daughter would either (she's 7). I have a hard enough time helping her with her homework without getting frustrated with her, there's no way I could home school her effectively.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Mine both went to public school. If I could go back in time, I would most definitely homeschool. Note that school is not the only place for social interaction.
    Anonymous

• We do public school. 1. I have to work. 2. I haven't the patience to teach, this is why I am not a teacher. 3. He gets many services he needs through out the school day such as OT, ST and seeing a counselor. Home school has some major upsides but so does public. It's about what you feel you can do and what you feel public school can do for you then weigh te pros and cons that apply to your family.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• where i live if you home school they dont get a high school diploma .. so i wouldnt do that. I also agree with the first post i think kids need to be around other kids.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We've homeschooled since 1990. Our older children (26 & 19) also attended a private school for a few years & liked it too. Right now, my youngest son is in K & we are doing Connections Academy. It's similar to K-12. It's available in most states & they supply all teacher & student books, workbooks, supplies, paper, pencils, a computer & printer etc. totally free. We are really enjoying it & we will probably stick with it for the time being. Socialization is a non-issue. Home schooled kids get as much, if not more, socialization throughout the year & it tends to be a better quality socialization that that in the public schools, because it's more parent supervised & you choose the social activities & who your child

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I will be homeschooling once my LOs are old enough. GL
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• If I thought I could of afforded to stay home I would of homeschooled but I have sent all of my children to public school but then I think kids need other kids to interact with also. I have public schooled for 27 yrs
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My children go to public school. I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and the public school system is fantastic -in my opinion- so I have no problems with them going; however, if I did have an issue with the schools where I lived I would home school in a heartbeat.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 12:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Id look into a 3rd option of private school. They would get better one on one attention and socialization.

Answer by gemgem at 12:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011