breastfeeding ?

when you breast feed do you have t give your child iron? i was told that breastmilk is low in iron and vitamin c.. do we give the vitamins to them or just the breast milk?? also, i am worried about not being able to produce milk, could goat milk be a substitute??

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Health

• Goats Milk or any other animals milk isn't the same as a mother's breastmilk. Everything that you intake goes into your breastmilk. Which means that if you have a high iron diet, the breastmilk will be high in iron as well. Only if your pediatrician notices that your baby has a vitimin deficiency do you need to give your baby extra vitimins. They're not needed otherwise as long as you have a well balanced and healthy diet.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• NOO!! You don't need to supplement! There isn't a lot of iron, because the bit that IS in your milk is so easily absorbed, they don't need more. Same with any other vitamins. Don't fret about supply until you get there. VERY few women genuinely have that problem. NEVER judge supply by what you can pump. Judge your supply by how satisfied your baby is after each feeding, and by counting diapers.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have to disagree with PP... high iron diets won't effect the amount of iron in the milk. You body makes milk to a pre-determined recipe. The only thing your diet effects is the quality of the ingredients.

Good news is, your body makes milk with a certain iron level for a reason! Not only is it easier for baby to digest, but it also allows babies body to properly absorb other nutrients.

Yes, human milk contains less iron than formula, but the iron in human milk is absorbed nearly completely... whereas the iron in formula is absorbed at only about 10-15%. So, it's not that human milk is low in iron, it's that formula has to contain very high amounts to prevent anemia.

As for supply... if you nurse on demand without supplementing, you are very very likely to produce plenty of milk. Go in assuming you will produce plenty and only worry if there is an issue (lack of wet diapers being the only reliable gage).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I didn't supplement with iron and we didn't have any problems. I nursed my guy for 18 months. And that was after being told at discharge that I shouldn't be surprised if I couldn't breastfeed. My suggestion is to make sure you have lots of support on hand. Find out about the hospital lactation consultants, your local La Leche League leaders, and buy "The Nursing Mother's Companion" book. :) Good luck!
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• eat lots of foods high in iron.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I was told I only needed to use iron supplements if I chose not to start cereal at 6 months. I started it at 7 months but honestly I never gave the drops. She was fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Breastmilk contains all a baby needs. And goats milk is NOT an acceptable substitute. Breast milk or formula is what is needed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Goats milk is- from what I hear- better than cow milk for infants or tose with stomach issues but better still is formula and better than that is breastmilk.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2011