How do you your family vacations now compare to the ones you had as a child?

When I was little we took family vacations to see relatives. As a teenager we went to Nashville, Branson, DisneyWorld, The Bahamas, Canada & Spain/Morocco. As a young adult we went to Hawaii & DisneyWorld.

I have taken my children to see family on holidays and saved the vacation time for DisneyWorld(2) & DisneyCruise & SeaWorld (3).

I love the big trips but also want to take smaller ones, like camping and weekend get aways.

The memories are great from both times!

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 12:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Travel

• now i see that family vacations are more fun for the kids! lol. all the planning and driving and money invovled.
    when my parents took me to disney world it was the BESt thing ever! for me..
    now that im older and have kids of my own now i see what exactly they went threw in planning this trip and how much it cost them..
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• When I was younger I hated family holidays - it was always so stressful. The way they've changed is that I try to make them much more relaxed... If I get lost I don't scream at the map or have a minor break down. I also try to do whatever the kids want to do. That's what holidays are for - seeing my kids happy!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• we couldn't afford much growing up. so most of our vacations consisted of simply visiting relatives (parents family/cousins) who all lived 3hrs away. occasionally, we'd 'splurge' and take a 1-2 day trip north a few hours (while on our visit to the relatives' houses) to Eureka Springs/Branson.
    as an adult, and making tons more money than my dad ever did, i always went to florida, renting a beach condo for 1-2 weeks a few times a year. (my salon schedule didn't allow me to take more time off, i was tootoo busy!) married, we continue to hit the beach, but different locations and usually, more expensive lodging.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We went to the mountains some but we only had one BIG vacation. My son has been on 2 large vacations one to Niagara Falls and Toronto (thought it was to visit family also) and one to Disney. My DD has only been to Disney. We will get to stay in a Cabin this summer with a lot of family so that will be big for us as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As a child we always took week long vacations to Panama City Beach, FL. As a teenager we did week long mission trips with the church. We did 4 vacations of this building church buildings for new and growing churches and two international trips to Ukraine and Costa Rica to help with church building, outreach, and community projects. As an adult we take several weekend trips for camping, Gatlinburg, TN, and other trips like that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• we never went on a family vacation as a child...Now that I'm married & have 2 dd's we are trying to go somewhere every Summer...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Growing up we had vacations homes we went to. We spent summers at the lake and winters skiing in the Utah mountains or south if it got to cold! My family vacations now are so much fun. We stay in hotels, go cruising, we love to visit other countries. The best so far has been a month spent exploring Australia. My hubby and I have a goal to visit 2 foreign countries every year. Our daughter gets to see the world. If we leave from Florida or California we always do Disney! I love it as much as kids do!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My parents especially my mom is/was BORING and no fun! We went to Nj, Maine NY for vacations and went had one BIG UN family vacation to Disney world. It was like 14 or 15 of my sibilings, parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We had a blast. Now that I am older we have only been too FL I want to be able to travel with my daughter but I am terrified of flying and can barely handle the 3 hr flight to Fl. Hopefully when shes older I will grow up a bit too and not be so scared of planes so we can have fun.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As a child my family did family vacations that always involved camping and fishing and while they put things in there for us kids to do also we went to Mount Rushmore, more then once and the Flintstones and Dodge City Kansas. Mostly it was the fishing and camping 2 things to which I really don't care for.
    I know they did the best they could with 5 of us and my mom being a SAHM
    With our family vacations it's more about what we all want to do and in comfort. They take a lot of planning and money to do so and when we go we really enjoy them. We take a lot of mini vacations also just weekend get aways. We can do that more so now then when we had more children at home it's just the 3 of us
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As a child we always went to see relatives on vacation. Luckily we had family that lived close to Disneyland and other neat places.
    Our family vacations now never include seeing relatives. We go to places we think are interesting--Mt. Rushmore, Branson, Montana, etc.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2011