I don't know....there for God.

Watch Bill O'Reailly on Colbert, try to use this argument, and have it backfire so spectacularly.

Is this really still a valid argument for the existence of god?

Would you agree with Bill, or do you think he just made an ass out of himself?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 12:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• i like Bill..always been attracted to arrogant men..lol! but he's dug himself a hole, apparently several times, using the same lame 'argument'. he does God no favors. my 5yo can explain the existence of God better, and yes, he thinks God sleeps, just like we do!! LOL!

i have to agree with SC, though..my first impression of the atheist dude did remind me of the cartoony devils. see what earlier-century artists can do to our minds?? hundreds of years later?? LOLOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Tide comes in, Tide comes out. Sun goes up, sun goes down. Sunroof open, sunroof close..... I am curious what his theory on the light in the refrigerator is....

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• lol Colbert is funny. Because I'm not religious I enjoyed the joke. But I think most people know that's not exactly how O'Rielly meant it; he was just not fully explaining his thoughts every time he mentioned it; he came up with his own 'catch phrase'...*shrugs* he gave Colbert a funny bit I suppose.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That is funny and I agree with beachmomma- its Bill O'Rielly's in a nut shell belief. I get what BO is saying, but I also think the SC's take on it was very clever. I enjoyed it- I also love Jon Stewart because they are equal opportunity- no one is safe from their humor!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• oh Bill...why does he still have a following? i get the point he's trying to make, the way things happen to work seamlessly and perfectly in all aspects of the universe is amazing and points to a high power for a lot of us. but to say that no one can explain how tides work or how the sun rises and that proves God is flat out stupid. it kinda pisses me off that Bill's basically saying "dont learn how things work or your faith will suffer". a little knowledge goes a long way Bill!

and i LOVE Neil! he's just so smart but not in an arrogant, your so stupid kinda way. i watch all of his science shows and i can actually grasp the information...and his friendship w/ SC & JS always makes him more likable in my book.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Kneel before Neil!! lol. Iwatched this earlier, I thought it was pretty funny. I understand what O'Rielly was tyring to say as well, he just doesn't word it very well.

Mamaie

Answer by Mamaie at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• uh, we may be human for a big purpose, but no one but God made the earth, the huge sun, the big universe of planets and stars. So there!! All kidding aside, it's big for a reason. Can anybody say they made a baby really, no. They may have a baby growing inside them, but we did not attach the retina to the eye, or the skin to the bones, etc. It's just the wonderment of all the creation! So it's easy to make fun of what we can't create ourselves.
    Anonymous

• No I don't agree with O'Reailly, my beliefs are far more complicated then that. I also understand that the sun comes up everyday because the Earth is spinning on it's axis.  This doesn't mean that I don't see God's hand at work in creation.  I'm in awe of how  mathematically precise the universe is . 

Colbert is funny and I always like when he has Neil on, you can't go wrong there.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Mamaie, you beat me to it. All Hail Neil!!!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• How funny, love the bell but I am more of a triangle person. Everybody who has a deity can claim similar things and I could never call them names. Oh well.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011