so i picked out a puppy from a freind

but i'm concerned cause it's got really cloudy eyes. what could this mean? i think she said they are around 6 wks of age. i don't have possesion of the puppy yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Have they been to see a vet at all? I'd have to wonder if the pup was blind.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The eyes can be cloudy or appear to have a film up to 8 weeks old, after that if its still there consult a vet. My puppy had foggy looking eyes for the first 10 weeks but he was a ok so dont worry too much... He may have opened his eyes a little later than his litter mates.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would have the puppy checked for blindness and parvo. A vet check is good for a puppy anyway, they have worms and need shots.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I also think you should take it to the vet once you get it
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 4:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• well that is if i get it. i don't want a blind puppy! gosh i know that she plans on taking them closer to 8 wks to get shots etc done. i guess i wait and see
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• ok...this sucks...if you're getting this from someone advertising in the paper or craigslist or some crap like that, odds are it's bad breeding...yet ANOTHER reason why I am so damn sick and tired of people paying money for pups...go to the shelter or a rescue group and adopt a puppy!!! Adoption fee will include spay/neuter, microchip and all shots!!! Odds are you won't get ANY of that with a "backyard breeder"...and yes, anyone without a license is breeding irresponsibly...if that poor sweet pup is blind, then odds are he will have a lot more problems and they should be reported to animal control.

**don't breed and buy while shelter animals die**
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Even 8 weeks is to young to leave the mother and other pups.They should be 10 weeks at the earliest when they go to new homes.You would be best off not taking the pup if it hasn't been seen by a vet at least twice.

To the PP,my state does not require a license to breed.We have show dogs and we breed to better the breed.Not all pups in a litter are show potential so they are placed as pets with a spay/neuter contract.Nuff said.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• What kind of dog? This has nothing to do w/ cloudy eyes, just want to know.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• m moms dog has cloudy eyes due to cataracts she had it since birth
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• it's a shih tzu. one of my favorite breeds
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011