if a wife and mother is married to a man does she get say into the finances?

He said he was going to cut me out completely because i was asking him where our money is going ...i check online on our account and he buys stuff from smoke shops and eat out everyday .. and i was wondering why and he says i dont have to worry about it ... of coarse i do we have a child with needs too! i would like to know and soo he said if this shit continues that he going to cut me out ? wth is this crap? shouldnt i have say in this or what ?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes YOU should have a say...what a jerk...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Legally half of what you own is yours, tell him so.......

Answer by older at 1:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes you should. He is being an ass and I would be wondering what he's hiding from acting that way.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• In many states income is considered community property. Is your name on the bank account? If so then any money in it is equally yours and his. Should you leave him, you would be entitled to 50% of everything. But that does vary from state to state, I would look into that where you are.
    My husband is a SAHD, and I can't imagine telling him that our finances are none of his business.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 1:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It's a marriage..both parties have a say in everything. I handle all the finances, but my Husband and I make decisions about the money Together. He asks me what We have before many purchases - since I handle it all - but He can spend whatever He wants as long as We have it..same with me.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'd be telling him it isn't crap and I have a right to knw and that 1/2 of what he makes is mine also. What an ASS!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would wonder why...Sounds to me like he is trying to hide things from you...YES you should be involved in the finances...Good Luck!
    2pittsburghboys

Answer by 2pittsburghboys at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That really is something that has to be worked out between the spouses. Whether you have a say or not is completely up to and between the two of . The two of you have to work out together what happens with your finances, who handles the finances, what agreements are in play in regards to finances...etc.. 

If you live in a community property state, you can receive half of all assets if you divorce. However, community property laws do not really have any bearing on how finances are handled during the marriage itself, only during the divorce. Also, not all states have community property laws. Mine does not.  All married women should know if they live in a community property state or not. If they do not, they should set up other legal safety nets (pre nup, post nup, or asset distribution agreements........etc) on their own accord.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My SIL handles all the finances, like Daddy like son. He does talk about bills and $ and lets my DD see and have $ though. I think I'd let him have an ear full. My S/O best friend was that way, his wife ended up divorcing him. Tooooo controling for tooooo many years.!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Sounds like he is trying to hide something. We don't have that issue in my house. The money that my husband makes is OUR money. We have a joint account and I spend what I need. He generally takes care of the bills because he's better at that than I am. We have no secrets.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2011