My SO wants to help potty train our girl...

But he feels like maybe he shouldn't. She follows me to the bathroom, and will sit on her own potty while I go, and even closes her potty when she is done. She tries to follow SO in, but he doesn't know if he should, since he stands up to pee..
So here is my question for those who have potty trained girls, with a man in their life and home. Did your SO/DH/BF help potty train your little girl, or was it a mommy and baby girl thing?
Thank you for your answers in advance!!!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 1:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the key to potty-training is consistency in your timing their visits. its not necessarily a male-female thing. whoever's available, and stays on top of it, i say. if both of you are constantly taking her to the bathroom, even if she says she doesn't need to go, then your job is easier.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't think she should go in the bathroom with him. JMO.
    Oh, and no..I potty trained our LO's around 15-18 months. Alone..and it worked for me.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Nope. It was a family thing here on my end. He helped train the girls just like me. Then my older daughter helped also with the youngest. It's potty training.. it can't have boundaries. It was also carried over at the babysitter's house... everyone made sure she was in the bathroom when needed.... There is nothing weird, sexual or anything else about potty training.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think she can but if she does follow him in he should sit down to pee.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 1:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• She doesn't need to SEE him pee for him to help out. She just needs him to take her in and sit her on the potty and praise her. Potty training is a family affair.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i potty trained my son, so i dont see why her daddy can't help potty train her.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Thank you so much ladies! I want this. To be a family thing. So that if the occasion arrises that he needs to take her to a bathroom while I'm not there, they are both comfortable with it. You have all really helped put my nerves at ease!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Just him sit on the toilet in itself without doing any business while she goes.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My dh is helping my daughter potty train. I never thought anything of it and honestly I'm happy to have the help!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My daughter follows me into the bathroom, but her father isn't comfortable with that (understandably). But he will help her sit on her little potty.
    Anonymous