Potty training before 2

For those mamas that have successfully potty trained before their child was 2, what helped you the most? Which method did you use? What was the hardest part? And what was your biggest tool?

My DD is 19 months and we just started potty training her. So i would just love to hear about how you accomplished it!

Thanks!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A girl I worked with trained both of her boys at 18 months. We teach we we have summers off. What she did was stay home the first week of the summer...no plans at all...not even running to the store...she just put them in big boy pants and cleaned up a lot of messes but by the end of the week her son was trained...even overnight...it worked with both of her boys. It never worked for my boys though. Best of luck to you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Children are not potty-trained before two. The parents have to take the child to the bathroom, therefore it's PARENT-TRAINING. A fully potty-trained child recognizes ON HIS OWN that he has to go potty, goes to the potty, pulls his pants and undies down, does his thing, wipes up (with assistance). No child before two can do that. The best time to potty trained is when the child is closer to three.
    Anonymous

• Ok. With my first, I started training at 15 months. Its just repetition, with my second, we started
    around 16 months, and both of them had it after about a month. Repetition.

In my country, potty training is done between 15-18 months. I did it just like my mom..repeat, repeat, repeat.
    Good luck.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my ds was 14 month when we started and was completely trained by 16months. We let him watch us go potty, kept books next to the toliet for him to read while going, and those flushable confetti to 'aim' at. he thought it was the coolest! gl!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 2:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My oldest was fully potty trained at about 2 years. I didn't really use any methods or anything. I just let him go at his own pace. He had a huge interest in it, and pretty much did it on his own with a little help in showing him exactly how to do it!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011