• In the Spotlight:

children easels and carpet

I'd like to get ds an easel, perhaps one that is half easel, half chalkboard. But the house is mostly all carpet (except for the kitchen and bathrooms). Any suggestions on protecting the carpet from messes? Newspaper would be a hassle. I can see ds tripping over it or if something spills ds just dragging it onto the carpet anyway lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would just get some plastic and put it under the easel and that way things won't get ruined
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• All I can think of is to only let her play with it in the kitchen. I can't think of anything that you can put on the carpet that would keep someone from stepping in the paint and tracking it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We have one, we use it ONLY in the kitchen for the very same reason. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We also fingerpaint and paint ONLY in the kitchen. Some things are just easier in the kitchen. No muss, no fuss. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We have one and DS LOVES it. I have the one that's dry erase board on one side, and that's what he generally uses. I let him use it in the living room whenever he wants with the markers, but if he's finger painting or watercolor painting, it goes in the kitchen! I thought about getting one of those clear pads that go on the floor for chairs to roll on to go under it, but what we're doing now works fine!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I used a plastic drop cloth, made for kids. It had fun colorful little pictures around the edge.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We got my 8 year old the nice Melissa and Doug easel which I highlyrecommend! But I put it in her room and used the plastic mat you put under a computer chair that needs to roll on carpet. I found one at office depot but was very pricey. So went to a dollar general and found a 6ft roll of the plastic mat for 5 bucks. I cut it to fit. It works so great. Doesn't move or get wrinkled up. I love Melissa and Doug bc the art supplies come with cups for dipping the brushes in that are spill proof. The paper is in a roller that fits in the middle of the easel. It promotes a clean art place!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2011