Can you remember when you were little and realized what "dead" really means?

I can't remember anything happening in particular. Just recall one evening I was lying in bed crying and scared, because I thought: "You could fall asleep and not wake up anymore." Probab;y around age 5 or 6.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Just for Fun

• @ 3 years old
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't remember a time when I didn't realize what death was. It also never bothered me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Well, I grew up on a farm with livestock. I just kind of always understood that animals dies and don't come back. They died.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Unfortunately I realized what it meant when I was 7 and my father died :(
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 2:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I was 5 when the elderly lady next door died. We used to go over regularly for visits, sit and eat cookies, or oranges or bananas. She and her brother lived together, and there was always something tasty for us when we came to visit. I remember being devastated when my mother told me that she had died. I think I knew then, but I don't know when I first learned it. We had a lot of cats get hit by cars when I was a kid.. I remember when Mesham, a cat I had in headstart, got run over. Guess I knew then what death was..and that was a little earlier.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• actually no I can't
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't remember ever not knowing what it was. I'm not sure why, though. I've had moments like that, though (being freaked out because you might not wake up or something).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I was about 12 when I understood it as the first death in the family I experienced was my Grandpa. We lived in another state and did not see him much, but I no longer could speak to him or visit him like we used to.

A friend of mine said when she was younger, their dog had died and she got so upset by it that if she ever saw another animal dead...she would freak out and cry,'it's dead mommy, the kitty is dead'......so her Momma says in order to stop her from getting so upset...animals they would see dead on the side of the road or anything, she would say,"It's OK honey......kitty is just sleeping."

She never thought anything else from it or WHY was kitty asleep in the middle or why the puppy was sleeping there! I use that on my 6 yr old son!

Now when I see a poor animal dead on the side of the road or my son will see it up ahead.....he will say,"Watch out Mommy, looks like a cat or dog up there asleep in the road!!!"
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2011