not as healthy??

So before I got pregnant I didnt have the perfect immune system but I was pretty healthy...Now here it is almost 3 years later and my immune system just seems like its shot. DD is just now 2 years old and before I got pregnant I had a total of 3 cold sores my entire life...Once I became pregnant things slowly started to decline, Ive just had weird health issues and have had like 7 cold sores since being pregnant..like everything triggers them now, my immune system just cant seem to supress them..im tired all the time and ive tried taking countless vitamins. I did lose alot of blood after having her so I was anemic but they gave me iron and after 2 months my levels were back up just fine and ive had blood work and stuff and everything is fine. The doctor just said that most of the time after having children your body never regains its full level of health that it had before pregnancy, and that your immune system just isnt as strong. He also told me breast feeding can take a toll and I breastfed for a full 12 months..which by the end of it I was doing really bad, I couldnt keep my weight up to supply the milk and I was just never hungry..in part because my DH was on his first deployment and that was super stressful so I wasnt at full capacity to begin with. I also had really bad food poisoning towards the end of breastfeeding so im sure that didnt help either

In any case I just wish there was something I could do to get my immune system back to where it was..any other moms have this issue??

Italiancouture7

Asked by Italiancouture7 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Health

• This winter my immune system has been horrible. I have gotten sick over and over.  I just posted a question about it, and got some great advice. Here's a link: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/696873/What_do_you_do_to_boost_your_immune_system

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Sugar can break down your immune system for up to six hours! There is an epidemic of magnesium deficiency in the US; this causes weakened immune systems, and can increase the frequency of migraines, asthma, and cause a whole host of other issues; we take a cal/mag/D daily. You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August 2009 issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• yes i had this problem after my son he's three but was recently diagnosed with RA so who knows if I'll ever be back to normal :( Hope things work out for you.

try and eat healthy balanced meals
    get 8 hours of sleep a night
    drink plenty of water
    exercise
    take a multi vitamin
    take short naps as time allows

Just a few things I could think of that may help. Good luck.
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 6:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011