how can i raise my milk supply

My new born has nipple confusion, and my milk supply is lowering, and I am pumping it so she can have my milk, yet it seems to be lowering day by day does anyone have any ideas or help on how to raise my milk supply.

mom31788

Asked by mom31788 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried fenugreek?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Drink TONS of water. I dont think most women understand just how much water it takes to keep your milk supply up! I had a hard time keeping my supply up with pumping too though, i never really figured it out!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• pumping helped me. if thats not helping you im not sure. i hope you figure it out! maybe contact the nursery at the hospital? they have specialist for that. gl
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 2:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Have you tried breast compression? If you have not, here is a simple how-to guide: http://pediatrics.about.com/od/breastfeeding/a/compression_2.htm
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• go get some mother's milk tea and drink it a few times a day...also take the fenugreek...continue drinking lots of water...and pump pump pump. there are also a few foods you should stay away from...such as anything with peppermint, menthol, or parsley. Best of luck!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• this might sound absolutely awful but... a beer a day can help. The yeast is what does it I think. I'm trying to stop brestfeeding and we had some "fun" 4 New Year's and my boobs were swollen! My sister had recommended this 4 me but I thought it sounded like something a crackhead mom would try so I never did, but if you're desperately worried, it works. Really.
    nqmochafrappe

Answer by nqmochafrappe at 3:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• yes, more water. also, your milk supply "goes down" at 6 weeks. actually it doesn't, it's just your body getting used to your baby and producing how much your baby is needed. to increase this you can pump and breastfeed. I did this and it worked great. of coarse i was pumping or feeding every hour for a couple weeks, but it does work. you can do this on and off as your baby grows if you feel you need a little increase in milk. but hang in there, your body will not "adjus"t in a day or so, it takes about a week, but if your body thinks your baby is eating that much, it will (should by nature) produce that much. Also, consult with a lactation specialist in your area to work with you directly. you can find these through pediatritions, milkworks, laleachleague (great, they can help you find free help too).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The best thing you can do is get that baby to the breast, so that she can nurse on demand. That's the absolute best thing for supply. Look into an IBCLC or LLL for help with getting baby to breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• all of the above. i had the same issue a few weeks ago. i was just trying to get more to pump. try nursing and pumping at the same time. that way u get the letdown from the horomones. or wait 30 mins after u nurse. if u cant nurse at all, try some kangaroo care before u nurse. (skin to skin w/ baby) but all of the above should help. good luck momma!
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011