Do you think kids just burn themselves out eventually?

Games. Videos mainly. Psp, ps3, ds's, gamecubes, and on and on.

I see my child getting pretty numb to all these games and it is his own attitude that is his own teacher without doing a thing. All I did was unplug it once and try to remove some games, and the authority (dad lol!) stepped all over me and I leave it all to them to battle now.

As for homework. I'd like some advise before it goes until his 30's and he states that he is homeless and jobless.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• In our home you do homework FIRST than the rest of the day is yours... free time!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• yeah , on a certain game anyway
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You cannot ignore this. It is your responsibility to have control. It is unfortunate that your husband is not on the same page.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• All things in moderation... you need to set some rules. Get your dh in on this so that he will back you up.
    Some rules could be: homework comes before games, can only play for X hours per day (set a timer), can earn extra game time by helping you out at home. Offer praise when he does follow the rules. If he refuses to do homework first or constantly whines when you tell him that game time is over, games get taken away for a day or two. If you are very consistent he will learn some self control and to prioritize tasks.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It is unfortunate and his main concern is how often to take him out to fast food. It's lost and gone. I just hope and have intentions of doing some good someplace else where it's appreciated, not here. I've seen all the efforts I've made just go up in smoke and get stepped on. What else can be done? Nada.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I can't see it as a good thing. Kids and adults alike can literally get addicted to video games. Some have even killed themselves over it. Look up EverQuest and MMO suicides... Anything that Google can give you that connects video games to death.

There was even one report about a young man being a wonderful child, and then due to a video game addiction he ended up trying to murder both of his parents. He succeeded with his Mom, but his Dad survived. They'd gotten into a scuffle about his gaming, and the Dad locked his console in the gun cabinet. Boy took out both and went ape shit on his parents.

I can tell you I game. At one point, and this isn't a joke, I was spending about 18 hours a day on gaming. I ended up with a stress fracture in my right arm because it just consumed my life.

You need to set limits to gaming, and be very strict with them. If you see signs of addiction, remove it from your house
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes, it's good to be ABLE to step in, but the ''authority'' doesn't allow it. I am very stringent in my words, and actions. As for d/h it is always taken away, and then given back and bigger games at that, he still isn't improving.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Limit the games until homework is done.

But honestly, I think the burn out is done by parents that schedule every blasted moment of their child's life with activities that don't allow for free time. Dance lessons, Sports, Music, Clubs, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I believe that one Razelda. I've even thought things of that nature myself. I try to make some sense to him by allowing talk time in other spaces in the duration of daytime. It is helpful, and he listens,(son), but not to the point of a change, just giving me his ear, that is all.
    Now he repeats me like a parrot, and I'm going to sign him for some counseling asap!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes, sports music and clubs does get apt to drown a child of energy unless it's encouraged, NOT PUSHED.
    I don't like pushing anything on him.
    I'd like him to see that his decisions are causing health problems.
    He isn't looking his best lately.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011