If a parent who has supporting their child well into adulthood,is now eating into funds meant for their own bills and expenses to cover their able bodied child's rent,utilities,etc,etc,who do you think is most to blame for creating the situation?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 3:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not necessarily creating it, but they are responsible for continuing to enable it to happen. Tough love is sometimes the best love,it's not wrong to help out your child even in their adulthood but for them to continue to live off of them isn't right.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The parent who lets the kid use him or her is at fault.
    Kick the kid out.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The parents.. hell pay my bills and see if I want to become responsible.. But I bet you I will, if you stop :) Cut the cash cow out..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It is the parents fault for enabling this type of behavior. While it's understandable to want to help your children in a time of need, there needs to be stipulations on how often or how long you help them. Adult children need to learn to be responsible with their money and to work hard for what they have...not that they can run to mommy and daddy to bail them out. There need to be consequences to their actions.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It's called ENABLING and yes, it IS the parental fault for not allowing their child to stand on their own.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Obviously the parent is enabling the child..
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• the parents for not putting a stop to it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The parent 100%. They have to have created the problem a long time ago for the child to be still asking for it at such an advanced age. I have a feeling of sadness each time I have to ask. and I always KNOW concretely when I will be able to pay my mom back and give her a check with that date on it. SOmetimes life throws us a curve ball but to keep getting hit in the face with them, well that is the person who taught you how to catch a balls fault.
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 4:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The parents are creating the situation. You have to teach your children responsibility and a part of that is learning to financially, take care of themselves. Enabling this type of behavior is never helping especially when this reaches adulthood.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Parents fault for raising a lazy and entitled brat. The adult child is to blame as well for taking advantage.
    Anonymous