Are you a pushy parent?

Would you consider yourself to be one? I'm watching a programme where these parents force their kids to try and be famous when to be honest their talent is very small. However I think we as parents have a responsibility to push our kids as much as possible when we know they can do better/make something of themselves. I would never force them to do something they didn't want to do though (excluding things that are bad for them).

What's your opinion on it?

It worries me that sometimes I may push them too much when I KNOW that they can do something and they are convinced they can't. Perhaps sometimes I should leave them be. Do you do this?

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 4:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't consider myself pushy, I gave them options for them to choose.

Answer by older at 4:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My boys are only 16 months old so i dont really know if I am or not but I don't think I will be THAT pushy. I want them to be involved in sports and activities and I'll most likely make them pick at least one to do, that they have to be in. so in that way yes I would be pushy. but at the same time instead of being the parent on the sidelines freaking out that they missed a goal, I'll be slightly pushy in that they should try their hardest but I won't be like.... mean pushy??

umm i guess what I'm trying to say is I hope to be an encouraging parent, not mean and pushy.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think you are right about their being a difference between being pushy and supporting and encouraging.

My son is very smart and he talks about being a vet all the time. Has since he was 2 :) So I tell him he CAN do it with hard work....I also make an effort to give him sources to learn about the things that interest him.

He likes the national geographic shows so I record them for him....and we buy him books and mags on animals....just subscribed to kids national geographic.

It is his choice on how to live his life, it is mine to help him find the way and root him on while he does it :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am laid back when they want to do something I encourage but I never force it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• No...my kids chose what they wanted to do. They were involved with sports at school and planning for college....not interested in being in any competitions and contests except in high school sports. And I didn't expect them to win. I just let them be happy with what they did.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• well i don't really see it as pushy i just want the best for my son... i wouldn't force him to do something he wouldn't want to do but i will encourage him in what ever he'd like to do... i would like to put my son in sports like soccer, pewe football, t ball and my husband wants to get him started in motocross... but never force him.. just talk and see if that is something he'll like to do... but when it comes to school it's not an option.

Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't push my daughter I just allow her to do her little activites in her room... art, sketching, writing, playing games, or listening to her music. I mean if she has talent I believe she needs to develop it in her own time. Other than that I like to tell her stories of when I was in school. I let her know that I was not an A student. And she should just try her best. She gets better grades that I did though.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am not. I've had so many experiences with sports & other things watching parents who force their kids to play, even when they don't want to. I will do almost anything to support my son in anything he wants to do, we do have a rule that on a team you finish the season, but we don't make him do anything. I think the important thing is to teach him how to work for something so he knows he has that ability.

I think as long as your love & approval aren't tied into whether or not they do something, you're doing fine.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't know if I'm pushy but I do encourage my DD when I think that she can do better.
    CadincesMom

Answer by CadincesMom at 9:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2011