What is your take on the differences between.......

East Coast moms, west coast moms, and middle America moms? Just being on Cafemom, I have notice a great difference in raising children, definitely politics, and the most recent compassion. It's a huge difference! What do you think?

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did not realy notice a difference. I have traveled a lot so I guess I am used to the differences.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I do see differences in parenting style & politics with location, but I'm not sure about the compassion. I've seen nice and very not-nice women post here from everywhere.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I do see the difference but I have no idea where the moms are from. I don't bother to look. No matter where you're from it's going to be different. For all I know a East coat mama and I have the same parenting styles and I live in the mountain west
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• No I don't notice a difference. I actually notice how similar we are, rather than how different we are.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am a Colorado transplant (via Oregon) from the East Coast- I have found that people out West are more laid back and accepting tha people think differently and thats OK- people here are passionate about what they believe but not as in your face if you do not agree- I also think people out here are a lot less stressed-it is a more laid back life out here- I like it!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I've not noticed a difference...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have only lived in the East coast (New York City, Massachusetts, and DC). When my husband and I were dating I visited him the west Coast quite often. I love San Francisco , LA, and Nevada. I have only gone to Iowa, Ohio, Texas, and New Mexico ( middle America). These are the differences that I found. In the East coast , having an education career, being philanthropic, and charitable is expected of you. It is a must to be politically diverse and culturally educated and sensitive. The West coast is more laid back. They are more about being green, healthy, and fabulous. They let a lot of things roll off their backs and are mostly spiritual and connected with eastern medicine and holistic beliefs Middle America are about being home grown, conservative. They tend to concentrate on rules.  many things are black and white. There are very few things are grey. They take a lot of pride in the simpler things in life.

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Only thing Ive noticed about east vs west(and that comes from living on both sides not being on CM) is the east folks move fast, always on the go. Whereas, those of us on the west tend to go a bit slower...take our time doing stuff.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I've noticed a difference but I wouldn't say that it's a drastic difference. I chalk it up to the fact that we all have different opinions, no matter where we are.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2011